Vilkas X Reader: Dreaming of Another Life

Beautiful fanart by: gekroent on deviantart

You can find the art here: https://gekroent.deviantart.com/art/Talia-and-Farkas-Surprise-my-love-360594509
(Friendly reminder you can send in your own fanart if a character, or your character and another, and I may post it on here!)

*This isn't a request, but it is inspired by the song/cover above that I've been addicted to recently!
__________________________

Y/N's POV:

I rub my tired eyes, and plop onto my bed. I let out a small yawn (I just yawned) and stretch my arms up. I sat soundly in my room in Jorrvasker. The Harbingers was always too big, and it made me feel so alone.

"Excuse me, Y/N, are you about to go to sleep?" Vilkas's voice echoes from behind me. I quickly turn around to see Vilkas leaning against my doorway.

"Oh!" I blush, "come in, Vilkas."

"If you need some sleep then it's okay-" he starts, but then look off into the distance and blushes.

"No, you can come in. I don't sleep very well anyways." I encourage as I pat a spot on the bed next to me.

Vilkas hastily walks in and sits down seeming miles away from me.

"Vilkas, are you alright?" I ask as he averts his eyes away from mine.

"I'm sorry for wasting your time, Y/N." He sighs.

"You're not wasting my time. I would rather be talking to you than sitting here alone." I scoff at how much more sad that sounded out loud than in my head.

His anxious eyes connect with mine and he lets out a shaky breath.

"Have you ever had a nightmare? Not just a nightmare, but one that seems so real. Like the man who raised you and your brother dies a horrible death because a whelp and a friend went too far to get revenge, then, on top of all that, that whelp takes his spot as Harbinger, and everyone acts as if everything is all fine and normal, but it's all a trick. Everyone is sad, and they feel like they can't move on, but they play it off as 'fine.'" Vilkas takes a very deep breath then stands up.

I sit in awe for a moment then I feel my eyes water. "So it's my fault? You're blaming me for all of this? You don't think I think about that every night; that maybe, if I had just found someone and settled down that everyone would've been happier? Yes, Vilkas, I do." I take a breath in and think for a moment. I see Vilkas move his hands to his face. "I appreciate you telling me how you feel." I swallow then exhale. "Gods, if I could dream I would dream of a life so much different than this one."

Vilkas rubs his hands together, still facing away from me. "If I could dream, I would dream of another life, where we met, but none of the things in-between happened. Y/N I love you." He says quickly, " but I can't stop thinking about if you just-"

"Weren't here? Yeah. Me too. Vilkas I love you too, but I can't bare the thought of you blaming me for everything that's happened, and I'm sorry for that." I explain as I grab his hand. He squeezes in his return, and I hear him sniffle.

"Y/N, I don't blame you. I blame myself for letting all this happen."

"Vilkas, you can't change what is bound to happen."

"Huh..." he hums. "That sounds like something Kodlak would say."

I can't take sitting there anymore and I quickly stand up and pull him to a bear-hug.

"I can't make dreams come true of us living in another life, but I can love you in this one."

I feel him start to quiver, and he hugs me tightly.

"Talos, we're a mess aren't we?"

"I know..." I sigh.

"Vilkas shakes his head, "I love you, Y/N, I'm sorry I said all of this. I shouldn't have, and I'm sorry that I even made you think I hated you, and I'm sorry if I hurt you-"

I kiss his forehead. "Will you let me love you in this life?"

Vilkas smiles as a tear rolls down his cheek. "This one, and every other life I dream of."