Synopsis

Chakravarthi Yudhishthira, the eldest of the five Pandavas, was well known for his righteous nature. Being the son of Dharmaraja – he held high standards of knowledge in justice and the Dharmashashtras. Despite being the mighty wielder of the spear, which could penetrate a stone wall with ease while breaking it in the process, the heart of this warrior was as soft and pious in nature as that of a mother.

Being the one who spoke nothing but the truth while having lived his life as a true example of righteousness, how would his reaction to the actions of his mother – who had abandoned her first born and failed to acknowledge him as her son – have been? Read to experience the emotional turmoil of a righteous king, as he struggles to re-shape his perspectives around the grey line separating dharma and adharma, which may force him to understand the hardships faced by his dear mother all her life.

*Note: The intentions or reasoning behind Raja Maatha Kunti's actions of failing to acknowledge Karna as her son, has been explored and debated over years. From the Mahabharata times till now. Yet, even though many possible conclusions have been made, we will never know if one is more valid over the other. And that will always remain the true beauty of the Mahabharata – which purposefully explored the actions of the characters, while not explicitly stating the detailed intentions behind each one.

This chapter of the story simply focuses on my take on the intentions behind Kunti's actions, which may be similar or much different to your views. For me, a mother's love is always special. It is unique in its own way and can never be compared to any other form of love. I please ask that you respect all views which may or may not be agreeable to you. But, as always, I welcome you to voice your thoughts and views and encourage a healthy discussion in respectful ways!

Notes/Terms to Understand Chapter 5:

*Please do refer to the previous chapter notes, specifically Chapter 4 Synopsis and notes, for any further clarifications!

*Dharma - righteousness

*Adharma - unrighteousness

*Guru – a spiritual teacher or master

*Dharmaraja – another name for Yamaraja, who is the Hindu God of death and justice. He is responsible for the dispensation of law and punishment of sinners in his abode – Yamaloka. Hence, being his son, Yudhishthira is well known for his righteous nature and the justice he provides.

*Dharmashasthras – a series of ancient Sanskrit texts which refer to the legislation of Hinduism on dharma

*Manava Dharmashasthra – also known as Manusmriti (Laws of Manu) – one among the many Dharmashastra texts

*Gada - mace

*Abhimanyu – the son of Arjuna and Subhadra who had died in the Mahabharata battle

Hi Everyone! Hope you're all doing well and staying safe during this time. Here is the synopsis and notes for chapter 5 of DaanveerPutri! Please do comment your thoughts and opinions about it! Part 1 of the chapter will be up soon :)