chapter 27 - part 2

Start from the beginning

"I didn't sleep that night, not when the only sound in my head was of my wolf chanting 'Mate rejected us. Mate rejected us. We are not worth her.' But one of us had to be strong. I couldn't give in to my emotions so I decided to meet you at the pack. I couldn't rest knowing that you were unaware of everything happening around you - it didn't make sense to me, how were we protecting you by keeping you in the dark?!"

I ask myself the same thing every day, I thought in my head.

"Unfortunately, my father caught me outside my bedroom door. He knew I would've never lasted the night without meeting you- we were mates after all, our wolves recognised the bond. He again stopped me from meeting you, using the same reason which he knew my wolf would never go against - your safety. For my wolf and I, there was not a single doubt that you could stand up for yourself, we knew you were strong," he looked at me. "You are strong. But to my wolf, your safety mattered more than anything in the world. He wanted you safe first, everything else came after which put me in a dilemma. I had no idea what to do; to listen to my human self and go after you or to listen to my wolf and not? My dad took the silence as an opportunity to remind me of the Academy, how we were bound to meet again and how I could make an effort to improve our relationship there which is why I made the decision to listen to my wolf and not go."

"I really wish you had told me... or at least father could've told me," I sighed and ran my fingers through my hair. "Things would've been so different."

We both remained silent for a moment, letting our minds wander to an alternate reality where everything was far different than the mess we were currently living in.

"You are a rarity, Vivian, not only to our species but to your father. I cannot blame him for this, you are his pup after all. I would've done the same in his place."

I chewed on my lip. All this information was making my head pound. It awfully felt like I was drowning, the darkness enveloping me, slowly closing in on me, filling every inch of me with deep dread.

"The Academy started soon and I was once again told to make as less contact with you as possible, especially since now you thought we had rejected each other. However, I went against the order when I asked you to dance on the night of the party. I was an Alpha now, their command wouldn't work on me anymore. It shocked the Alphas but they couldn't do anything, not when there were so many wolves around us. I was glad I mustered the courage to talk to you because having you in my arms that night brought me more happiness than I could ever imagine. But then came those pups, sharing a room with you - Josh and that fuvking Tyler," he spat venemously, "I failed to understand how it was alright for those two, un-mated, Alpha-blooded pups to share a room with you, would that make everything suddenly less suspicious?"

His eyebrows were drawn together, his knuckles white from clenching his fists too hard and face red with suppressed rage. I felt his anger come out in waves, "I commanded Lee to change your room. Just the mere thought of you being with them was unbearable, and then every time you came with them to the classes, every little gesture was like salt to my wound... And you especially took a liking to that pup Tyler and by Goddess did I want to rip him apart. If only he wasn't an Alpha's son, he'd be long gone by now."

I decided to remain silent, not offering him my two cents which could further fuel his rage.

He swallowed, hard. "His closeness to you was the reason why I intentionally called him in the ring during my class that day. My wolf felt challenged so he felt like he had to prove himself to you and to show that you rightfully belonged with us, and not some weak, immature pup.

"My temper got the best of me during the fight. My wolf wasn't having it. And when you went after Tyler instead of me, you took a chunk of my heart away with you. I remember thinking to myself - this cannot happen, I can't lose her," he shut his eyes tightly and shook his head, "No, I cannot lose you." He struggled to find words, his eyes in a trance-like state, as if he could see everything happening clearly in front of him.