chapter 48

"In a world full of temporary things, you are a perpetual feeling." - Sanober Khan

48.

After a day's journey in the woods, we finally arrived to a place I was familiar with. In the midst of our travel, Elliot had to part ways with us to keep up appearances with Randy which disappointed me because I wanted him to come back to his pack and share his true identity - that he was always protecting their Alpha. His Alpha.

The daylight had dwindled and the last sun rays of the day were about to melt away into darkness when we reached the Alpha Academy where our families were anxiously awaiting us.

According to Branden, to make sure our packs didnt launch an attack on the Lycans, Leia had already informed the other Alphas and our families that Josh and I were safe and will be returning soon. I didn't know if they were aware of the entire story, or were offered a few scraps of information, or if they even believed Leia.

Taking a deep breath, my eyes tracked our surroundings.

Just a few days ago, I was standing in the same place looking for clues to find Josh and now... here I was.

You never do know what the future holds, now do you?

Upon arrival, Josh and I were attacked with an onslaught of hugs and kisses. Mother was the first one to race towards me; her worried eyes, which had tears welling up in them, traced my face. Even though Brianna had done an incredible job of fixing my nose and cleaning my wounds, they still needed some time to heal completely due to the absence of my wolf.

Mother cupped my face and started kissing me everywhere, her salty tears coating my face.

"Mom, it's alright. I am okay."

She kept muttering my name, as if she couldn't believe I was actually in front of her, as if I would disappear into a puff of smoke if she stopped touching me.

It hit my mind that her reaction was valid because the last time one of her children disappeared, he didn't come back alive.

Zack didn't come back alive.

She only halted and stepped aside when father called out her name. He didn't say anything to me. He just opened his arms. And I practically jumped as I rushed to hug him.

He was okay.

"Dad...."

I'm safe. I'm home.

"My princess...," he pulled away to grab my shoulders and then used his thumb to wipe a tear off my cheek, "I knew you would come back."

He gently kissed the top of my head as I wrapped my arms around him again, seeking warmth and comfort in his hold.

Uncle Jonathan and Ella met me next, the former scolding me for not listening to him but then gave in and told me that he would've done the same if he were in my position and it was my father who went missing.

My eyes darted to the right and found Josh's parents still hugging him, tears of joy cascading down their faces. He stood there, letting them take their fill of him, letting them fuss over him, letting them reassure themselves that their son was back - truly, wholly and most of all, alive.

Even a stranger passing by just had to take one look at them to see how much they meant to each other.

When the reunion greetings with our families concluded, Josh and I strolled towards Tyler who was glaring at us with a clenched jaw.

When we were a few feet from him, he surprised us by taking a step forward and reaching his arms out to bring both of us in for a hug. His hands gripped our necks in a tight, vice-like grip.