chapter 45

"There is no pain greater than feeling helpless in the face of a loved one." - Unknown

{A/N: This is a double update! Make sure you read chapter 44 first}

45.

My head was absolutely killing me. It almost felt like a truck crashed into me. My body was feeling stiff from spending too much time in one position, and my neck hurt a lot. A whole fucking lot.

Groaning, I tried to squeeze my eyes shut to let the pain go away, trying to understand what happened to me. But all of it was a haze, and the more I tried, the more painful the banging in my head got.

There was also a weird spot on my neck which wouldn’t stop hurting so I moved my hand to rub the area but couldn’t.

My hands were tied.

Almost instantly, as if someone dumped a bucket of ice cold water on me, my eyes opened and adjusted to the new environment.

The air was thick and stuffy. It was dark and there was a strong, metallic smell of blood lingering in the air. I tried to move my legs and arms but they were restrained. The more I pushed and pulled to get out of it, the more it dug in and hurt my flesh.

That’s definitely going to leave bruises.

On the ceiling, there was a small light bulb which partially illuminated the room, allowing my gaze to drift away and take in the area around me. It was practically empty. There was nothing but an empty, wooden chair in the corner of the room.

My eyes travelled to the opposite side of the room and that’s when the world, time and everything in between stopped.

In one shattered moment my heart and breathing stopped, just stopped.

Lying on the floor was a body of a man whose entire face was bloody, broken and swollen. This man had not only been beaten but tortured violently. I had never in my life seen someone battered so viciously.

The face was virtually unrecognizable; bloody, dirty and swollen. It was a bloody mess, nose smashed and eyes almost shut with swelling.

And then I saw the shoes.

The Air Jordan III.

“Josh?” A sob was choked in my throat. My heart was pounding in my chest but there was a numb, ringing silence in my ears. I couldn’t hold the heartbreak any longer, my grief poured out in a flood of uncontrollable tears. My entire body wracked with an onslaught of sobs and tears.

No… no… no… this can’t be true. He has to be alive.

He has to be alive.

“Josh! Josh! Do you hear me? Josh?” I kept raising my voice in hopes of receiving an answer but he wasn’t moving. “Josh! Please tell me you are alive! Please… Anything, please… Josh?!”

An anguished and blood-curdling scream left my mouth when I did not see any movements. With all my strength, I tried my best to break free from my bonds but it was literally impossible.

“Josh! Please get up. Please, Josh…” I collapsed on the floor, wanting nothing but for the angel of death to take me away.

He can’t be dead.

I won’t let it happen.

“Josh, it’s me! Vivian! Look at me… Come on, open your eyes.”

I begged, pleaded, cried, screamed, shouted, prayed but those mischievous, cerulean eyes won’t open and look back at me.

The door flew open and florescent lights buzzed on. The intensity of the lights made me flinch. Two men stepped in and behind them a face I could never forget.