chapter 49

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." - The Wedding Date

{RECAP: Vivian and Josh have returned home with Braden after being kidnapped and tortured by Lycan King Randy. Ethan and Vivian have also finally marked each other}

49.

I couldn't breathe.

There was something heavy pressing against my chest. I tried to push it away, but it wouldn't budge. A heavy, warm breath caressed my neck causing the hair on my back to prickle.

The next second, I felt something soft and wet lick my neck. My chest tightened and panic squeezed itself into my heart, but I knew I couldn't let it win. My eyes immediately opened and were met with a tuft of grey hair. A familiar scent travelled to my nose causing my tense body to go lax.

So that's what it was.

Ethan's wolf was sprawled across my body, his sides rising and falling, focusing on the pulse of my heart beating right under him.

He was trying to match his own breaths to sync with mine.

Something tugged at my heart.

As if he knew I was awake, he moved up and smushed his nose against my neck, gently inhaling my smell.

"He likes hearing your heartbeat." A voice rang in my head.

"Goddess!" I cursed out loud.

The bloody mate mind-link! Scared the crap out of me.

I felt Ethan's laughter through the bond.

"I definitely need to get used to this."

Pushing myself up with my elbows, I found his wolf's obsidian eyes observing me intensely. With pricked ears, he scanned our surroundings and then returned his stare to me. He probably thought something had happened when I cursed and jerked up.

Satisfied when he found nothing amiss, he threw himself back on me like a little baby.

Cute.

The only sound in the entire house was of his heavy breathing as his flaring nostrils took in my scent. My heartbeat calmed down and he let out a low, rumbling growl of contentment.

"Why?" I asked Ethan through mind link.

"To make sure you're okay but most importantly, to make sure that you're not just a figment of his imagination - that you're really... there."

My heart fluttered and a warm sensation enveloped my entire body. I had never felt this wanted, this desired, this valued. It was a feeling like no other.

I wrapped my arms around his solid body, or at least I tried my best to, my fingers holding onto his soft fur. He growled in approval and snuggled even closer to me if it was possible.

"I am here."

His wolf moved up to gently lick his mark and heat spread through my body like wildfire. Unable to stop myself, a low moan left my body and my arms tightened around him.

The marking had caused something in us to shift. I felt as though I was tethered to the place by an imaginary rope that wouldn't let me get away from Ethan.

And I didn't want too either.

With him, I felt safe.

Protected.

Those black eyes of his met my brown. He leaned forward so his snout lightly touched my face and then began to lick my face. A bubble of laughter escaped my lips.