chapter 41

"Sometimes when I look at you, I feel I'm gazing at a distant star. It's dazzling, but the light is from tens of thousands of years ago. Maybe the star doesn't exist any more. Yet sometimes that light seems more real to me than anything." - Haruki Murakami,

{RECAP: Vivian's father has woken up, and she got a letter from the Lycan's that Princess Leia will be visiting her pack}

41.

North-Moon pack once again fell in preparation for the arrival of the Lycan princess. As conveyed in the letter, she arrived two days later in a black car with surprisingly much less protection than I had imagined.

Dressed in a yellow, knitted turtleneck dress with her icy blonde hair pulled up in an elegant bun, Leia stepped out of the car. A petite, young lady, with tanned skin and long, dark hair that fell in waves - most probably her chambermaid - followed close behind.

Two bulky guards flanked both of her sides, each one of them holding her suitcases.

“She sure packed a lot for a two day trip,” My wolf observed.

"Hello Princess," I offered her my hand, "I never thought I'd see you this soon. It was quite the surprise."

Her gloved hand gently shook mine, "Hopefully, a good surprise."

"Only the best," I smiled at her and saw her curious gaze flickering towards someone behind me. "You didn't get the chance to meet my parents last time; let me introduce them."

With a bright smile that would make even the sun pale in comparison, she greeted my parents who were standing together arm-in-arm. Father had made a shockingly fast recovery and got back on his feet within a day. His wolf was still resting but compared to before, his human-self appeared healthier and stronger.

After the introductions and greetings were done, we escorted Leia to her room so she could freshen up, with a promise that I would personally give her a tour of the pack later. Her guards were to alternate their duties so one room was assigned to them as well.

As promised, an hour later, I showed Leia around the pack. She looked at everything with bright, flashing eyes – like a child who had met Santa Claus for the first time. There was something in her icy, blue eyes that wasn't there before; her joy unfolding like a blooming flower.

When we made it towards the training grounds, she audibly gasped when a pack member ruthlessly slammed another one on the ground. Her feet took her towards the boundary of the ring; her guards following us close behind.

She was completely awe-struck, rubbing her hands with glee and not removing her eyes from the spectacle in front of her for even a second. When the fight ended, she hopped on her feet and clapped causing everyone to look at her. It looked as if she was bursting with liquid sunshine from within.

"That was amazing!" She gushed, her face pink with excitement, "I don't get to go outside a lot so this is the first time I've seen a fight - an actual fight."

I gave her a small smile which soon turned into a frown when she looked away. Her reaction could only mean that she had been kept imprisoned for so long that she had completely lost faith in a world beyond the walls of her castle.

It hurt to think how she never got the chance to stretch the bars of her gilded cage, thus, never coming to know of her true worth.

"Leia, do you remember Josh?"

"Is he your friend who asked a lot of questions during our dinner?"

"Yes," I laughed at the way she described him. "He is throwing a party in your honour tonight. He thought it would be a great way for you to meet our packs."