𝟶𝟷𝟽

╰☆☆☆☆╮

     CHRIS WALKED THROUGH THE SCHOOL hallways with both hands on his backpack straps. His blue eyes danced around as they searched for his best friend. The Royales boy eventually found Will by his locker.

As he made his way over towards Will's locker, he noticed the smaller boy holding a piece of paper in his hand. Placed upon his lips were a frown as he stared at the newspaper article that someone had drawn on. There were X's placed over his eyes and the words 'ZOMBIE BOY' written on it. Will looked up from the drawing and went to glance around but jumped when he saw Chris standing there.

"What's that?" Chris asked as he grabbed the paper out of Will's hands. The smaller boy looked up at Chris with fear in his eyes as he stared down at the paper. Chris didn't mean to be nosy; he just wanted to know what was making Will so upset. "Who did this?" he asked, his voice wavering as he spoke.

"I don't know," admitted Will in a soft voice as he looked down. "I just found it in my locker." Will was taken aback when the Royales boy crumpled up the piece of paper in his hands. He glanced up at the Byers boy with a soft smile before pushing up his glasses.

The shrill sound of the school bell startled the two of them. Will closed his locker door as Chris suggested they walk to class together. The two shared a grin before making their way towards Mr. Clarke's science classroom.

"Meet the human brain," Mr. Clarke smiled after slamming a fake brain onto his desk. Mike and Dustin had large grins on their faces as they stared at their mentor in admiration. Lucas was also quite intrigued, but Will was still thinking back to the drawing that Chris had thrown away. The latter was occasionally glancing over in Will's direction to make sure he was okay.

"I know. I know, it doesn't look like much. A little gross even, right? But consider this. There are a hundred billion cells inside of this miracle of evolution." Chris' attention shifted from his friend to his teacher as his mouth parted in shock. "All working as one. No, no, I did not misspeak. I did not stutter. A hundred billion."

The sound of the classroom door attracted everyone's attention from their passing notes, baseball, or even their cootie catcher. Mr. Clarke looked over to his left and smiled warmly at the new face that walked into the classroom with the principal.

"Ah, this must be our new student," Mr. Clarke assumed as the new girl with fiery, red hair walked into the room. Her tanned skin created a sharp contrast with her bright blue eyes.