A Long Walk Above a Short Wood

"Dee, this is how you make a steak!" Parker exclaimed. Unfortunately, he was not referring to my cooking, but Niall's. He did look cute pretending to be all grown-up and sophisticated, though.

I rolled my eyes. "I'll take your word for it."

"Parker, don't be so disrespectful to your sister," Niall chided, taking his seat at the table. "Even though her cooking is terrible, she tries her best." He glanced over at me with a hint of a smile, his eyes squinting in the corners like they always did when he was saying something obnoxious.

"My cooking is not terrible, it's just hard to know something tastes good when you can't, you know, taste it," I countered.

Niall shrugged, casually eating a bite of chicken. "I don't know, sounds like an excuse," he said. "I was watching TV, and there was a Muslim chef who couldn't eat pork, but made a mean pork chop."

"Well, excuse me for not being a professional chef."

Niall's gaze met mine, and he reached over to pat my arm with mock sincerity. "You're excused."

I kept his gaze for a few moments while I chewed and tried to think of a response. All that came to mind were swear words. "So," I began and turned away, opting to change the subject over dropping an F-bomb in front of the kids. "How was your day at school, Sybil?"

"Good," she replied in a solid monotone, not looking up.

I tried not to sigh.

Please, don't tell me it's going to be one of those nights.

"Did anything interesting happen?" I asked.

Sybil shrugged. "Not really."

"Did anything un-interesting happen?" I tried.

"Not really."

"Did anything happen at all?" Niall interjected.

"Not really," Sybil said in the same monotone, but the corner of her mouth twitched a little.

"Oh, cool, so like nice day in the void?" Niall said.

"More or less."

"Cool, cool," he nodded. "You know, I spent some time there last week. Shouted into the void for a bit, the void shouted back. Good conversation."

I chewed silently, quietly thankful for Niall. Of the two of us, he's better with people. He knows how to get the kids to speak. He can do small talk and real talk equally well—and he's funny.

I like to listen more. Sometimes, I feel like it would be ideal if I didn't have to say much of anything, but people just spoke as they pleased. I know the real world doesn't work like that, and often what people want to say and what I want to hear are different. It would be nice, though, if we didn't have to ask any questions, but could just communicate how we felt and thought to one another directly.

"When are we going for a walk?" Parker interrupted.

Niall turned. "When everyone is finished eating."

I noticed that Parker was already done with his food. He probably rushed because of the walk. I frowned a little. That was fast. He was probably going to get indigestion.

"But everyone takes so long," he complained.

"If you're bored, I can think of some things for you to do in the meantime while the rest of us slow-pokes eat," Niall offered.

"Not that bored," Parker murmured, getting up and putting his empty plate in the sink. "Call me when it's time to go outside," he said and then bounded up to his room before we could ensnare him with any responsibility.