May 28, 2020 - My Plea, Do Not Say 'Safe'

My plea to businesses, leaders and news agencies: Stop using the word 'safe' in connection with the COVID-19 pandemic. Here is why I am making this plea.

Dictionaries describe the word 'safe' as a scenario where one is free from risk or harm or where one is secure (protected) from the threat of danger, loss or harm. The word 'harmless' is considered to be a synonym. The word 'safe' implies a guarantee. A guarantee that you will not be hurt. A perspective many people embrace when they hear the word 'safe.'

This is not what businesses or public entities mean when they use the word 'safe'. They mean that their product or service is 'less risky' or 'of reasonable risk' or 'acceptable risk' or 'low risk.' They believe the risk of using their product or service is at a level of risk that will not immediately cause your demise. They want to avoid using the word 'risk' because it sounds negative or may cause alarm.

By the definition above, there are very few 'safe' activities within our lives. We could be hit by a careless driver while driving or walking. We could choke to death while eating. But generally, we consider driving a car, taking a walk and eating to be 'safe' things to do. However, each activity carries some risk.

Within the pandemic, I'm concerned that we are irritating folks when we use the word 'safe'. They feel like we are trying to mislead them, when the intent is to reduce their fear. For example, I listened to a research expert talk about aerosols (droplets in the air) and the use of cloth masks, social distancing (six feet), hand sanitizer and hand washing. He clarified that doing all these activities significantly reduces our risk from catching COVID-19. These activities do not guarantee we will be safe. He gave the following example. If one person in an inside space is shedding the virus and wearing a cloth mask, that a second unmasked person standing six feet away has about two minutes before they receive enough virus to become infected. If the second person is wearing a cloth mask, they have about four minutes before transmission occurs. When folks hear these research experts talk, they realize public activities contain significant risk.

I cringe every time I hear the word 'safe' used within the context of the pandemic. I know the intent is to reduce fear, but folks are smart and can realize the word 'safe' used in this context is questionable.

Consider what might happen if during this pandemic we dropped the word 'safe' and use the term 'reduce your risk.'

Instead of: Wear a cloth mask in public, keep yourself and others safe

Say: Wear a cloth mask in public, reduce the risk for yourself and others

Instead of: Our business is following guidelines to keep you safe

Say: Our business is following guidelines to reduce your risk

When we use the word 'risk' in our communications, we would remind folks that all activities, even with precautions, contain risk during the days of the COVID-19 pandemic. And maybe, we can instill more trust with folks by being more accurate in our communications.

Just my two cents worth of opinion for today.

Stay Safe! Oops! I mean: Reduce Your Risk!

Copyright 2020 by Cleomez (all rights reserved)