EPISODE 4: THE INVESTIGATION

After the meeting at the round table, Jess was outside sitting under a shade thinking about what Richardson had said. Swift came and sat with her, he asked her when she would go apologize to Boss. Jessica looked at him and said "Apologize? Really?" She asked him why they were all comfortable with the way Boss was treating them. Swift told her that Boss raised them and he was like a father to them. When he mentioned father, Jessica remembered what Richardson said about being friends with her parents. She asked Swift if he was not so curious to know who his parents were, to know where exactly he came from. He answered frankly and said "Sometimes I really do think about it" but there was nothing he could do since Boss told them they should never mention it.
   Jessica said "Here we go again. Boss said this, Boss said that". She walked away annoyed. Minutes later, she went to see Boss who had sent for her. Boss told her that the only reason she had not been punished for what she said was because she played her part well in the last operation. He said if she challenged him like that again with unnecessary questions, he would make sure she paid for it. Jess wanted to say more to him, to ask him more questions but she said "Thank you Boss" and left.
   She called her brothers to come to her chamber and told them, she wanted an investigation. Liam looked at her and asked what she wanted to investigate.
Jessica said "Don't you guys want to know where you are from?" She also told them that Boss had been using them. She mentioned how he raised them to become gangsters, to steal and to eliminate enemies and how he had restricted them from a lot of things.
Gon said "I like the guns though". They looked at him and he said "I'm sorry, just saying". Robb asked Jessica how they were going to go about the investigation.
   Liam looked at them and asked "Are you guys really going to do this?" He told them to count him out because if Boss found out, they would be dead.
Swift said he was in for the investigation and told Liam that he should also join them, besides he was the smart one. Liam said "That's why I cannot join you, I'm too smart to know this is a suicide mission". He went out of the chamber. Gon was about going out when he looked at Jessica and told her that "Bro, this is our life. Accept it". He left but Swift and Robb said they were going to help her with the investigation.
   Later that night, Jess decided to check the letter that Fernando gave her for his daughter. Inside the envelope, she saw the daughter's phone number. She called her, she answered the call and asked who it was. Jessica told her that she had a letter for her from her father, Jess asked her if they could meet up the next day. She said the next day was her graduation but she would be coming home the day after graduation, they could meet up then. Jessica introduced herself, she also mentioned that her name was Carmen. Jessica told her Goodnight.
   They met at a local restaurant, Jessica handed over the letter to her and explained everything that happened. She read it, her father congratulated her and also told her he left her everything he had. He told her to forgive him for killing her mother, and also that he couldn't live with the guilt and had to kill himself. Carmen broke down in tears, Jessica consoled her and told her that she also never got to meet her parents. Carmen asked if they were dead or what happened to them, Jess said she never knew them but Richardson had mentioned he was friends with them. Carmen said, Richardson was her godfather and she knew his wife and his son. She said his wife might probably know a thing or two about her parents.
   Carmen had promised to help Jessica with her investigation, they became quite close. Jessica didn't know how she was going to face Richardson's wife because she had a hand in his death.
Carmen and Jessica went to Richardson's house to meet his wife and son. When they got there, Dylan the son of Richardson came out to welcome them. Carmen and Dylan hugged each other, it had been a while they last saw each other. Carmen introduced Jessica to Dylan and they both shook hands. Dylan said "Let's go inside, mother is waiting." They got inside and saw Richardson's wife. She was all gloomy, Carmen went to her and hugged and said "I'm so sorry".
   She introduced Jessica to her as her friend and told her they wanted to ask her about something. Carmen said "Do you know of any couple that were close to uncle Richardson a long time ago? They also had a daughter."
Richardson's wife answered and told them that when they just got married, Richardson had mentioned he had two friends that were married to each other and had a daughter. She said the man was named Ellis George but she couldn't really remember the name of the wife. Jessica was so curious and asked what happened to them. She answered her and said Richardson told me they were murdered and their daughter was taken away. Jessica looked at Carmen, she was startled then Carmen held her hand and told her to calm down.
   Richardson's wife said her husband had been looking into the case for some years and he had gotten a lead on who might have killed them. She went inside and brought out a file and handed it over to Carmen, Jessica collected it from her. She went through it and stormed out of the house angrily.
Carmen followed her.