Chapter 46

Epilogue

JASON

Just like good whiskey, Jason would never tire of the sweet taste of Laurie's lips, and their willing response. He pulled out of their kiss and watched her struggle to regain her composure with amusement.

"They're going to be here any moment," she said in a playful pout, scooting out from underneath him where he had her pinned against the wall near the front door. She started buttoning her bodice back up. "And I'm going to burn supper."

He traced her jawline with his knuckle and tipped her head up with his finger under her chin. "Noone expects us to be on time," he murmured, and brushed her lips with his, not wanting their promising tryst to end. "We're still newlyweds."

"But they're coming here, so we can't be late," she murmured, her eyes closing again. Her fingers had stopped their task and now ran lightly down his chest. "It's raining."

"And?" He nuzzled her neck and felt her fingers curl in his hair.

"Hmm?"

Jason grinned to himself, and running his hand along her spine, whispered, "We could be quick." He gave her another kiss by her ear.

"Yes..."

He started another string of kisses and heard her sigh, followed by a baby's cry. With a groan, he stepped back and watched her shake off the trance he had so easily put her in. She straightened her dress and while fastening the rest of her buttons, walked toward their bedroom. She shook her head when he grabbed her hand.

"Jason," she said in a disapproving tone.

"Just another minute."

She licked her lips and encouraged, Jason placed his hands on her shoulders. "We need this, Laurie. I know some women don't think they do, but you're different."

"But we have a baby. You can't expect us to be romantic, even if we are newlyweds."

"And why not? You're both healthy enough now."

"I know, but..."

The demanding cry switched to angry, and Laurie's obvious discomfort between husband and child made him give up. He gently kissed her cheek. "Go take care of Jamie. He needs his mother."

She touched his cheek and said, "Your eyes are so blue."

She hurried into the bedroom, leaving Jason stumped. Sounds of footsteps on the porch and laughter caught his attention, detouring any other plans he had entertained. Jason opened the door to reveal Joshua standing with his fist in the air, ready to knock.

"Well, you're early," said Jason, moving aside to let Jeremy, Candy, and Molly inside with him. "And are you knocking? You live here now."

"Yeah, but lately you and Laurie, uh... I just thought I'd give a little warning."

Jason had helped Molly take off her slicker. "Well, thank you for that." He cringed at the sharpness in his voice.

Joshua and Jeremy chuckled. "Told you they'd be late," Joshua said to Candy. "They may have a baby, but they're still newlyweds."

"That's what I told her!" said Jason, throwing his hands in the air. "Ah, well, maybe it's for the best," he finished, his cheeks becoming more prominent under his wife's scrutiny from their bedroom's doorway where she stood holding their swaddled baby. He blinked as a slow grin spread across Laurie's face.

"Well, in that case," she said, her voice warm and sultry, sending instant desire sweeping through his body as she closed the gap between them. "You better make sure Joshua spends the night up at camp."