Chapter 13

LAURIE

Laurie wrung out Jason's long johns with the wringer attached to her washtub and placed them in a basket. Her back hurt and the hard work made her hot despite the cooler air, but she barely noticed once she had established a steady rhythm. Nothing could spoil the beautiful Seattle spring sky that Jason had told her so many times about. It didn't matter that it took twice as long as it should have for her to get a spot out of her favorite apron. The morning hours had been gorgeous, and she was determined to enjoy the day while she worked.

She dipped the corner of her apron into a bucket of water and used it to dab sweat from her face and neck. On a whim, she took her hair down and shook it out, letting it dry in the cool breeze while she took a long drink of water. Refreshed, she hoisted the basket of wet clothes onto her hip and awkwardly made her way to the clothesline Jason had hung for her that morning during sunrise. She imagined his pocketbook would be fatter since he didn't have to hire the laundry out, or at least, her efforts would offset the cost of having a wife. That thought gave her a surge of pride. It felt delightful to be doing something more than to offer limited conversation in a cabin full of dirty laundry, never mind the effort she had put into it every week. There were only so many places to hang laundry to dry by the fire.

No, she decided as she pinned a white dress shirt that wasn't Jason's to the line. Spring was in full bloom and now was the time to clean the cabin out and enjoy a fresh start. Enjoy it, not waste it. The effect of Seattle's foul weather on her disposition wasn't anyone's fault, and she knew Jason didn't mean to reduce her to a solitary life. Hadn't he tried to help her socialize after church? Or what about the woman he had introduced to her to at the mercantile? It was kind of him to try, but she still wasn't sure who Hannah's friends were. Regardless of whatever reassurances Jason gave her, Laurie was convinced Hannah's candle still burned for her husband, which meant there were some circles of friendship she wasn't welcome in.

Never mind all that! She pinned a pair of Joshua grey britches on the line. There was another reason for her good mood. It had been a while since anyone had mentioned any signs of peeping Toms, murders, or the man in the gold mask; nor had she been awakened by haunting whistles at night. Since Jason had returned to their bed, things in her mind had quieted down, which meant she finally had hope that it was only a matter of time before marital life would set itself right. Feeling happier than she had in a long time, she hummed a lullaby as she worked. The humming gave way to words, and before she knew what she was doing, Laurie began singing confidently in her soprano voice with her old Scottish brogue:

Speed bonnie boat like a bird on the wing
Onward the sailors cry
Carry the lad that's born to be king
Over the sea to Skye

Laurie flapped a sheet to straighten it out and threw it over the line while singing the chorus. With her clothes pins fastened in place, she took a moment to feel the rays of the sun on her skin. She closed her eyes and imagined being back in Scotland; a time when she still believed she had a future worth dreaming about. What would her father say about her life now? After a few moments of pondering that question, a bird called nearby, bringing her back to her task. He'd tell me to get back to work, that's what.

She picked up the next piece of clothing and sighed. Jason's pants were in sad shape. He needed a new pair. Actually, except for his pinstriped suit, everything he owned looked well worn, but it was a subject she hadn't felt comfortable talking to him about. Since their tiff, the discussion of money felt taboo. Her voice dropped as she absently sang:

Many's the lad fought on that day
Well, the claymore did wield
When the night came, silently lain
Dead on Culloden field

She continued to sing while her fingers worked quickly to hang Jason's long johns and a pair of her stockings from her basket.