Chapter 43

JASON

Jason sucked in a long breath of satisfaction. Seattle was once again looking like Seattle. Thankfully, none of the burnt buildings were beyond repair, with the mill taking the worst hit. Fortunately, Laurie's first husband and his partners didn't think to destroy the lumber already cut for shipping near the water. Jason and his brothers worked around the clock along with the men of Seattle to have the mill operational within a week, Jason having to take light duty while his wound healed. Now, with the mill fixed, they had the dormitory to complete, and some logs needed to be felled before October became bleak and rainy. They had one week left to restore Seattle to normal, if they were lucky.

He headed to the saloon to pick Laurie up for lunch. Last night he'd decided to tell Laurie about their marital status, and Lottie had squealed like a schoolgirl when she found out, almost ruining his plans. Jason planned to take her on a mid-afternoon picnic. He wanted to take her back to the pine grove they had picnicked at before, thinking it should smell nice and the sunshine would do her good.

In fact, he knew exactly how he'd say it, and then immediately propose. That way she wouldn't worry, and they'd be remarried within days of her brother's return from Olympia. On that thought, he stepped up his gait and whistled. It was going to be a fine day.

He strode past the totem pole on his way to the saloon and slowed down, curiosity burning in his brain. In front of Ben's general store stood Kincaid, helping Hannah into a wagon. That's going to take some getting used to. Mrs. Blake Kincaid. He put on his best smile and waved. Hannah waved back.

"Hello," he said to Kincaid when he approached. "Did you finally decide on a place?"

Hannah stiffened, and Kincaid glanced at her with an odd look. "Yes sir, I did. I best get the rest of the supplies."

After Kincaid disappeared into the store, Jason looked up at Hannah. She had a faraway look about her. "Hannah, is something the matter?"

"No, it's just... Jason, he's decided to settle in Nebraska, where his folks settled after the war. I'm sorry."

Jason shook his head, saying, "It's all right. You and the other brides have been free to come and go as you please after that first year, married or not."

"I know. I thought we'd settle here, honest I did. We talked about it. But, and please don't take this the wrong way, but I don't think he liked you walking me down the aisle."

She had a little blush to her cheeks, and Jason felt his own warm a little. "Well, to tell you the truth, I don't think Laurie cared too much for it either."

"Actually... didn't she tell you I asked her before I asked you?"

No. No, she hadn't, but that wasn't surprising. "Maybe she did, and I forgot," he said aloud. "I've been pretty busy."

"That's why we stayed this past week. Blake wanted to help. He said it was the least he could do, what with Seattle finally putting Campbell to justice and finding a wife here."

Jason had to press his lips together in a smile to keep from chuckling. Kincaid wasn't the first man to drift into town and leave with a wife. "Well, I'm glad for both of you. I hope you'll be very happy."

"And you and Mrs. Bolt," she said, and then the blush went deeper. "Oh, Jason. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to say that."

"Thank you," said Jason, waving off the faux pas. "That's very kind. She'll be Mrs. Bolt again, soon enough."

"Funny, how different things are now, isn't it? If you'd have told me in March, I would marry someone I hadn't met yet, and on the way to Nebraska, I don't think I would have believed to you."