Chapter 38

Once a thriving goat farm, now all that time had left of the Atkinson place was a small, two-roomed cabin with a family graveyard to the side. The perfect hideaway, Jason thought. Quiet, with no visitors.

Jason refused to wonder if he had chosen the incorrect route. His gut told him he wasn't wrong. Moving as quickly as he dared, he pushed his horse up the steep slope, his small posse continuing beyond what would have been a safe clip. It took one hour to climb what should have taken two, during which no one spoke.

"I know he's worried," Jason heard Kincaid whisper, "But the horses need a rest." Jason held his lantern up to look at him. "Meaning no offense," the man continued with a nervous look at Richard. "But... be reasonable. You can't help her if you or your horse drops dead."

"My horse isn't that tired and neither am I. But you can stop and rest if you like. That goes for anyone else too."

The men were silent for a moment until Clancey cleared his throat. "Ah, go on, man. We're all with ya."

Jason nudged his mount forward and squinted, something like a ghost capturing his attention to his right. He sat for a moment watching and saw the flitting figure again. Someone was running through the trees. Slowly, but still running.

"Hello!" Jason yelled, and the person disappeared. The nocturnal sounds of the forest were noisy, and Jason strained to hear... nothing.

"We'll go check," said Richard, nodding to Kincaid.

Together they kicked their horses and rode toward the area where whoever it was disappeared. They were almost there when the person took off running again until the marshal and his deputy overtook the figure with ease.

There was silence for a moment, and then Richard yelled, "It's a woman!"

"A woman?" Clancey yelled. "What's a woman doing out here in the middle of the devil's night?"

"Laurie could be out here, Clancey," Jeremy reminded him.

Kincaid hoisted the woman on his horse, and both men galloped back through the trees. At their approach, Jason, Jeremy, and Clancey held their lanterns high.

"Hannah?!" said Jason.

Kincaid lowered her to the ground. Her clothes hung on her, filthy, and they stank like she hadn't bathed in over a month. The hollowness around her eyes in the lantern's light made her look more like a specter than the haughty woman he used to court. Jason jumped off his horse and put his arms around her in a hug.

"Jason!" she exclaimed when he hugged her close. "Oh, thank heavens! I didn't think you'd—he was... he was... Oh, it was awful. He was hurting her when I left." She was openly crying, gasping for air between words, and Jason couldn't tell if she had said anything else or was just sobbing.

"Hannah," he said, but her tears continued. "Hannah," he said a little louder, using his fingers to lift her chin. She gulped and met his eyes. "Is Laurie at the old Atkinson place?"

"Yes!"

He met Richard's eyes. "That really all we need to know for now." Jason looked back at Hannah. "We have to take you with us, but I wouldn't worry about Campbell capturing you again. I'm sorry... for what's happened to you."

"Campbell? No Jason, it was John—"

"McAllister, yes, we know. His actual name is Sherman Campbell."

"He's Laurie's, um..." Jeremy coughed, unable to put words to the rest of the sentence.

"First husband," Kincaid supplied.