Chapter 7

LAURIE

When Laurie awoke she sat up in bed clutching the quilt to her chest and blinked in the morning light. Someone had tied the bedroom window curtains back and she could see Joshua and Jeremy combing the area behind the cabin. Curious, she arose to see what they were doing, wrapping the quilt around her shoulders. It slowly slid off the bed, dragging the ground behind her like a royal patchwork robe. Just as she reached the windowsill she heard Jason say, "There you are. I was coming to wake you."

He stood in the doorway, fully dressed, his mass of curls tamed and he looked freshly shaven. He held a plate of eggs, fried ham, and a leftover biscuit out to her.

She crossed the floor and took it from him. "Thank you, but shouldn't I be the one serving you breakfast?"

"Well, you were tired, and I got up early. I'm afraid I didn't sleep too well."

"You didn't?"

He shook his head, and before she could ask why he said, "Ah, Laurie... have you met someone I haven't introduced you to?"

Laurie inhaled deeply. The breakfast smelled divine, and her stomach rumbled. "No," she said, shifting and hugging the quilt closer. She put the plate on the nightstand. "I had planned on visiting the mercantile today as you asked me to. Why? Did you want me to do something else?"

He seemed about to say something more, and sucked in his breath, his eyes drifting to the window. "Lottie will be here later this morning," he said, as he walked over to release the curtains to hang in place. "I asked her to come over for a short visit."

Lottie? The saloon owner. Laurie felt a headache coming on and sighed. He eyed her questioningly, and feeling a little guilty she smoothed her frown and said, "I guess I better get changed then."

"Oh," he said, and when he didn't move, she noticed he had one fist pressed against the palm of his other hand and was thumping it with his fingers. Another tell she needed to learn. The pitter-patter of rain began overhead, and after yesterday's conversation, she tried not to notice by focusing on his increasing awkwardness instead.

"Did I do something wrong?" she asked, her brow crinkling.

"Wrong?" he echoed. "Oh no, nothing wrong." Jason licked his lips quickly and glanced at her cooling breakfast. "I, uh... I'm sorry about dinner last night. I forgot."

"I imagine it's difficult to change how you live your life when everything else in it except me is normal."

"You're a very understanding wife."

Laurie nodded. He had said it with an air of suspicion, as though he suspected her of lying. She wasn't. She knew it was difficult for him. That didn't stop her from feeling disappointed or feeling like she was failing to attract him. If she could just shake the melancholy, they might have a better chance of bonding.

He glanced around the room, his eyes once again lingering on the window. "Well, I'll leave you to it then." He exited as quickly as he had appeared, shutting the door behind him.

Laurie stared after him, thinking of how odd he could behave. She supposed it might be symptomatic of forced marriage. There had been nothing awkward about Sherman, but then, he had known what he was getting since Richard and the nuns had arranged their union. She had even met him twice before their wedding. A week ago she hadn't thought there would be much of a difference, but now the distinction between the two types of marriages was plain.

She mentally brushed it aside, took a bite of the biscuit, and picked through her clothes while she chewed. She chose her pink morning dress and slipped out of her nightgown to put on a fresh chemise over her drawers. After tying her corset and bustle in place, she slipped into a petticoat and underskirt. At last, she shimmied her way into the dress and pinned a cream-colored rosette to the bottom of her round neckline.