Chapter 34

LAURIE

Laurie stood at the window, a thin crocheted shawl of white wool thrown around her shoulders. Jeremy was quiet too, lost in his own thoughts. She wondered what had him so preoccupied, but she couldn't bring herself to ask. Not with Jason trying to reason with Richard downstairs. Not with Richard ready to destroy everything she had worked so hard to build. Again.

And how did Jason feel about that? Was he relieved at the proposition? It wasn't as though he wanted to marry her. The nightmare they were living could easily be over for him. She didn't think he felt like that, not anymore. All those things he'd said... but it wasn't like he was in love with her either. First Eli's body, then Hannah, the rain, and now Richard's " revelation." She couldn't have imagined a worse day. At least the rain had tapered off, although there was still thunder in the distance.

"He's coming," said Jeremy, straightening in his chair. She looked over her shoulder at him and again noted the long face he wore. No, something was really wrong with Jason's younger brother. She would have to ask Candy about it. He glanced away from the door and gave her a sheepish grin. "Bet you're glad to hear those footsteps."

The door opened and Jason walked in. He looked tired but determined. Her body tensed when he met Jeremy's gaze and followed his brother's silent nod in her direction. He sighed when his eyes fell on Laurie and nodded. "Thank you, Jeremy. Billy's going to take watch outside for a while. Why don't you help Josh home?"

Jeremy stood and patted Jason on the shoulder, giving Laurie a concerned glance. "She hasn't left the window since she came up," he said, halfway out the door. "Thought you'd want to know."

Jason murmured an answer she couldn't hear and shut the door behind his brother. He sat down on a chair to pull off his boots.

"What are you doing?" Laurie whispered.

He looked up, and it surprised her to see he wore a tired, haunted look instead of his lips squashed together in frustration. With her hands clasped together, her fingers picked at one another.

"I'm getting dressed for bed. You better do the same. Tomorrow's going to come early."

"Why?"

He had just pulled off his other boot. He let it fall to the ground with a clunk. "Why what?"

"Why will it come early?"

"Because your brother is here."

"Oh."

She watched him pull his shirt and jacket off in that beautiful fluid movement she had become accustomed to, although slower than usual and with the same groan he reserved for when he was exhausted. Jason unbuttoned his pants before he noticed her staring and with his hands on his hips, he cocked his head to the side with a question hovering between them.

"I just—I didn't know if you were sleeping with me, or in here, or...?"

"Isn't that where you sleep?" he asked, gesturing toward the bedroom. "And when I'm in town, don't I sleep with you? I thought we got past all that months ago."

"But, but..."

He shook his head and gave her a weak smile. "You've been spending a lot more time with Jeremy, haven't you?"

"Jason, our marriage is in question."

"In question, not invalid."

"Oh."

Jason continued to undress, Laurie watching him while she chewed her thumbnail. After taking his socks off he stood and took in a deep breath and stretched. He wore nothing but a pair of long Johns and seemed completely undeterred that she hadn't followed suit. With a not-so-innocent glance in her direction, he wandered to her and put his hands on her waist, gently pulling her to him.