Chapter 25

LAURIE

San Francisco CA

17 August 1871

Doreen White

645 Sunset Road

Have married Jason Bolt of Seattle, Washington Territory. He will arrive within the week to settle my affairs.

- Laurel

"You know, I'd forgotten your proper name," said Jason, handing Laurie's telegraph paper to Ben Perkins when she finished writing. "It's pretty."

"Thank you," said Laurie.

"Well, it's not like you use it all the time," Ben reminded him. He began tapping on the telegrapher's key, but a wail from the storeroom made him miss his rhythm. Ben sighed and shook his head, standing up. "No rest for the wicked. I'll send this in a minute, Jason."

"That's fine, Ben," said Jason as Ben headed toward the back room. "Just make sure it's today."

"Will do."

"And tell Emily hello for us."

"Emily, I thought I said to take Ben junior—"

The door to Ben's living quarters slammed shut. Jason and Laurie exchanged a glance, both of them pressing their lips tight together until Jason gave in and laughed. "Oh, I suppose that might be us, one day," he said, opening the door to the front of the mercantile for her.

That thought. That one tiny, beautiful thought made Laurie feel like she was living a dream. She knew she had to be glowing like a lightning bug because people were giving them knowing looks, but she didn't care. All that mattered was the chance. They were finally building a family.

"Oh, hello there!" Biddie called to them from the dormitory.

"Hello, Biddie," Jason called back.

"You look very nice today," Laurie added when the younger woman approached them. Biddie was wearing a green and white gingham dress with a light green ribbon at the collar. The look in her brown eyes matched her mischievous smile.

"Oh, well, it's one of Aaron's favorites, you know," Biddie admitted, batting her eyes and giggling. She glanced around quickly, and with a nervous look toward the dormitory, she looped her arm through Laurie's to whisper, "No one wants to tell you, but I don't think that's fair. Hannah Baird eloped last night!"

"She what?" Jason asked from beside her, his voice sharp. Laurie could feel his entire body go rigid, and she imagined him storming over to the other women and demanding to know what had happened.

"I didn't tell you, you understand. But I just knew you'd want to know."

Laurie couldn't find her voice. It made no sense. Hannah couldn't have gotten over Jason so quickly.

"Of course," said Jason, putting his hands on his hips. "Now, what's this all about?"

"Well, you know she was going to come to the party last night," Biddie said to Laurie. "She said you invited her."

Laurie dumbly nodded.

"I know because she wore that orange dress Jason was so fond of. You know, the one with the big orange bow."

"Biddie..."

"Well," Biddie went on, as though Jason hadn't spoken. "The last person to see her was Carrie Heyes. She said she saw Hannah with a man last night. She couldn't see exactly who it was, because it was dark, but she seemed happy." She lowered her voice. "He had his arm around her, and Jenny said she was laughing like he had said the funniest thing."