Hannah looked at Jason, her eyes wide. "Is that why he's so obsessed with her? I thought... I mean, the way he talked about you, Jason..."

"Yes, well, right now we need to go," said Jason, his voice a bit gruffer than normal. Looking at the men, he decided quickly. "Deputy Kincaid, would you let her ride with you?"

After a nod from Richard, Kincaid smiled kindly at Hannah and said, "My pleasure, miss." He put his hand out to help her in the saddle with him. Jason noticed she approached the horse with a limp but didn't comment. There would be time enough to answer that question later.

"Don't you worry about a thing, darlin'," the old captain said, handing Kincaid a blanket to put around Hannah's shoulders. "It's all coming together, aye, yes it is."

Jason put himself back on his horse and looked at Richard, who had kept his lantern lifted to help the others. This had already taken too long and expecting to see sternness in his eyes, Jason was surprised to see approval.

"Good," said Richard. "Looks like you found her." Jason nodded and with a quick pull on the reins of his horse, led them up the last bit of mountain to their destination.

Just before they broke into the yard of the cabin, Jason had them all dismount and stand at the edge of the trees, listening. He could hear someone pounding on something, but it was brief. Hannah had ceased crying and was listening too. Jason eyed her, pulling his gloves tighter on his hands.

"Hannah, where is she?" he whispered.

"When I left they were in the cabin, but it must have been half an hour... maybe an hour? I don't know... He made me take off my shoes," she said, looking down at her bare feet. "My feet... I'm afraid I didn't get very far."

"That was the idea," Richard murmured, dryly.

Jason silently agreed and refrained from comment. They stood side by side, impossibly searching the dark landscape. "Well," said Jeremy, standing next to Jason. "If we can't see him, he probably can't see us."

Richard snorted, and with a nod to Kincaid, motioned for Jason and the other men to follow him. Halfway down the hill, Jason saw Clancey holding Hannah's hand and his rifle in the other.

"What are you doing?" Jason said in a low whisper to Hannah. "Go back."

"No," Hannah told him. "Don't leave me alone."

Clancey motioned to her. "I couldn't just leave her up there, scared as she was, Jason. The poor girl's had a fright."

More than just a fright, try terrorized for months. "Oh," said Jason, drawing the word out a little in almost a sigh. "All right. Hannah, stay close to Clancey."

"I've got the little girl. No need to worry about her, Jason."

Jason took Clancey at his word. He hurried to catch up with Kincaid, who kept his rifle aimed at the cabin door. He signaled his readiness to Richard, and Laurie's brother kicked the door in and rushed inside. Within minutes, he had the entire cabin searched.

"She's not here," Richard said, walking out. "Found this, though. There's blood on a bed and the floor."

He handed Laurie's torn clothes to Jason. Jason squinted in the dark, but the feel of the fabric was familiar enough against his cheek. He put it to his nose and breathed in Laurie's familiar lilac scent. When he looked up, he could make out Hannah's shadow watching him.

"What was he doing to her?" he asked, his voice dangerous.

"Easy, lad. This girl is hurt too," said Clancey.