"That happened afore we got here, but I hear Miss Kenna tell Miss Laurie about the big uproar it caused, and Maguire's done sold out those nights. Menfolk just thought she was naked. That woman wore nothing more than a stocking to look that way. Lawd, the things they come up with for women to wear on stage! But Miss Laurie never wore nothing like that. They called her San Francisco's Scottish Sweetheart," Doreen said with gusto. "All she have to do is put on a pretty dress and sing 'til her lungs give out. I'll take you there after we all finished at the bank."

Jason could see it. In his mind, he could see Laurie wearing the red dress she wore on his birthday, the sleeves pushed down to reveal her bare shoulders, her hair curled and cascading over them. Her voice would ring over the crowd, many men in the audience mesmerized.

"I know," he said simply. "And thank you." He looked at her as if coming out of a dream and shrugged. "Well, if you won't come in, why don't you wait for me in the lobby. I'll be down, shortly."

Doreen smiled and showed two beautiful rows of teeth. "That sounds fine. I see you soon." She left and Jason slowly shut the door and sagged back down on the bed.

Hell of a way to wake up.

As quickly as he could manage, Jason met Doreen in the lobby. After a few more semi-pleasantries, Jason grabbed another drink or three at the saloon next door. Feeling more like himself, he smiled and laughed pleasantly at the woman's quiet words, and the taxi driver kept turning to look at them curiously. Jason frowned when a glorified buggy pulled past them with a few whispering women, all giving Doreen disapproving looks.

It irritated him, this thing with the black skin, although he was far from surprised by it. A lot of people had died to give her the freedom to do as she pleased like any other person, but winning the right and living it were two different things.

"You have a mighty frown on your face, Mister Bolt," Doreen warned him. "Best be careful now, or folks gonna think you be cross with this darkie."

"No one uses that term anymore," Jason said, shifting in his seat.

"There still be them that says it. Always will be. Ain't no reason to let it darken our day."

Jason picked at his boot for a moment. "You said we were headed to a bank?"

"Yes, sir. On Kearny, just two buildings away from Washington."

"Washington. Near...?"

"The very same. I put it there, thinking if Miss Laurie comes back, it might be easier for her. I know'd Maguire be angry about the fire, but it don't matter no more. But that ain't happening, is it? Miss Laurie, she gone for good."

"Well, I wouldn't mind if she visited now and then, but no, not to stay. I don't know if I could let her go even if she wanted to."

"So, Miss Laurie has finally found someone to love her. Praise be to the good Lawd for that."

Jason responded with a weak smile, and with a start, frowned. "What fire?"

"The fire at Maguire's."

They arrived at their destination before Jason could ask more. He quickly exited the taxi and helped Doreen out. There were a few stares Jason forced himself to ignore as they walked into the bank together. Doreen smiled at the teller behind the window.

"Miss Doreen! Didn't expect to see you so soon," the man said behind the barred counter, his brown mustache as bushy as his eyebrows. "Haven't seen you in a month of Sundays."

"Good to see you too," said Doreen with her eyes on the ground. "We need to see Mr. Carrington, please."

"Well, Mr. Carrington's a busy man," the man said, pulling his vest down.