Laurie took in a deep breath and opened the door. Clancey's eyes widened. He removed his formal captain's hat off his head, revealing his grey thinning hairs, and blew a low whistle.

"Too much?" she asked, her voice quivering.

"Well, I don't know about too much, but you're certain to capture Jason's eye, and that was the point, wasn't it?"

"Yes, that was the point." A glance in the mirror confirmed the heat she felt in her cheeks was a blush, pink tint deepening around the areas of her pinched cheeks.

"Well, you'll have his attention, you can count on old Clancey's word for that. And probably every other addle-brained donkey downstairs."

Laurie couldn't stop herself from chuckling. "Are Joshua and Jeremy ready?"

"Aye, whenever you are."

Laurie took a deep breath. "Okay, that's good. Tell them to start the music and I'll be downstairs. Oh, and Captain?"

"Yes, dearie?"

Laurie assessed his attire. He wasn't in his usual grey slacks, stained shirt, with a red bandanna somewhere on his person. Instead, he had put on dark dress pants and a dark coat with brass buttons. His hair had been slicked back with a strong hint of men's cologne. Someone had even trimmed his eyebrows and beard. She could only imagine Lottie had forced him to take a bath.

"You look dashing tonight."

He awarded her with a wide smile and with a tip of his hat and a little spring in his step, he ventured downstairs, whistling while he went. Laurie rushed back to the mirror and fluffed her bustle one last time. After a deep breath, she followed the Captain part of the way and paused, waiting for her cue from Jason's brothers. The sounds of rowdy laughter and chairs scraping the floors floated up to her. Joshua's voice, louder than usual, rose above the din.

"I said sit down, everyone! My sister-in-law has something nice in mind for my brother, and we're not bringing her down until you're all settled!"

Laurie heard rustling skirts, mumbled words, and chairs scraping across the floor as the crowd quickly quieted down. Her heart beat fast against her corset, and she took several breaths to calm herself. This is worse than my first time singing in Maguire's!

Jeremy popped into the hallway at the lower end of the stairs. "Ready?" he asked, walking up the few steps between them to offer her his arm. "And don't worry about things at your cabin," he whispered. "I've got it covered."

"Thank you," she whispered back with feeling, and let him lead her downstairs.

While they descended the last few steps, she tried to calm her mind. This was something she had done hundreds of times before, and this time wasn't any different. Nevermind the man she was singing for was quickly becoming the most important person in her life. Never mind her fear that if the people of Seattle didn't like her performance, she would have to listen to whispers for months. Never mind there was no orchestra to even out her voice.

I am a professional. I can do this. Jeremy grinned at her as they descended into the light of the barroom.

Lottie had transformed her saloon from a grimy, overcrowded, in-need-of-a-spit-shine barroom to a dance hall palace. Ribbons streamed down the banister, flowed from the wagon wheel chandelier, and decorated the bar with crepe paper bows stuck to the ends. Roses from Seattle's gardens filled the air with a heady perfume that with a little imagination drowned out the lingering effects of cigars.

Her husband sat front and center, and their eyes locked. She saw his eyes widen a little, a slow, sly smile growing on his face until it stopped at almost silly, but there wasn't anything silly about his eyes. Those held a promise that made her insides melt.