Chapter 4

THE PAINTED LADY

Appa was swimming along in a very polluted river, Persephone leaning against the saddle while she was reading a book about soulmates that she had found in one of the stores they went to in the last Fire Nation village

Appa was swimming along in a very polluted river, Persephone leaning against the saddle while she was reading a book about soulmates that she had found in one of the stores they went to in the last Fire Nation village. She took a deep breath, looking up from her book and glared at Sokka who was still staring at her. "What?" She asked, annoyed at his persistent questions.

"So, are you reading that because you want Zuko to like you back?" He asked, the girl slamming her head into the book.

"For the last time, Sokka. Persephone is looking at the book to see how she could get rid of her soulmate." Toph told him, Persephone looking back up.

"Momo?" Aang asked while he popped up from the water. The lemur went over towards the spot, looking for the boy. "Oh, Momo?" Aang popped up again and he went down, then got up one last time as Momo hopped on the back of his head and Aang laughed. "You found me, buddy." He said, and looked down at the water while he went back up on Appa's saddle.

"Hey, guys, I think this river's polluted." He said, and dried himself off while it hit everyone else.

Persephone groaned and wiped it off her body. "Well, that explains why I can't catch a fish around here. Because normally my fishing skills are... off the hook." Sokka joked, no one laughing. "Get it, like a fishing hook?"

"Too bad your skills aren't on the hook." Toph joked back, making everyone laugh, except Persephone who was deep into reading something.

"It looks like we'll need to go somewhere else to get food. Assuming that'll fit into Sokka's master schedule." Katara said, Sokka unrolling the scroll and looking over it.

"Hm... it's doable. But that means only two potty breaks today." Sokka told them.

"Hey, maybe we can get food there." Aang asked, pointing to a village that was floating in the river. They all picked a spot of land, Aang covering Appa sigh some moss. "Now you look just like a little hill with horns. Bye, buddy." Aang said, Appa snorting while Momo grabbed his own moss patch and he looked at Appa.

"I don't feel anything. Where's this village?" Toph asked.

"It's in the middle of the river." Sokka told her.

"Sure is. My name's Dock. Mind if I ask who you are?" A man asked, floating on a piece of wood.

"We're, um, from the Earth Kingdom colonies." Katara told him.

"Wow, colonials. Hop on, I'll give you a ride into town." He said, and everyone got on his float, Persephone looking around the river.