Chapter 1

Sokka was flying Appa across the sky, trying to find a place to land quickly before the group could move on. Katara was watching over Aang and Persephone who were both unconscious after the large battle in Ba Sing Se and they both endured large battle scars over their bodies. Toph was practice her metal bending while she waited for the group to land. Katara looked over Persephone's bandages, the blood soaking through it as she groaned, looking to Sokka. "Could you land any faster? Persephone isn't healing and she's still bleeding." She told Sokka, the boy biting his lip to keep his head calm.

"I'm trying, Katara." He breathed out, and he saw a small opening in an abandoned forest near a clearing of water for Katara to use to help heal the two warriors.

Persephone felt her body being dragged, locked in her mind while she looked around, the council of elders surrounding her. "Persephone, it's time. You have failed in protecting Aang." Monk Tashi said, the girl looking around, nothing but darkness surrounding her.

"What? No! Aang still needs me." She told them, trying to remember what happened. "He's still alive. He needs a Fire Bender to teach him forebending. The Solar Eclipse is soon." She tried to explain to the council.

"That won't matter, you've proven that your loyalties lay with the Fire Nation for allowing Azula to kill Aang." Monk Pasang stated, and she shook her head.

"I did no such thing! I was busy trying to stall Zuko!" She yelled at them, looking at Gyatso. "Please, you know I would never want the world to end in flames." She pleaded, tears in her eyes.

"It's time, Persephone. Your body isn't strong enough for your injuries. You have to let go." Gyatso said simply, the girl frowning.

She clenched her fists tightly and her jaw tensed. "This isn't fair!" She screamed at them, seeing cracks form around her. "You gave me an assignment at the age of six, that I never wanted. You were scared of a little girl just because of the bending ability I had! It was never my choice! I never had a say to what I wanted!" She went off, light spreading through the darkness as she kept going.

"I have a soulmate who needs me and you've hidden him from me! I have friends who loves me and is trying to save me! And I have Aang who is my family and I won't let you take any of that away from me!" She yelled at them, feeling the darkness fade

'There will be consequences.' She heard as she opened her eyes.

She groaned, feeling a slight ache in her upper back and tried to get up. "Don't move." Someone whispered in her ear, the girl staying still. "Katara isn't done healing you yet."

Persephone looked up and saw Sokka's dark blue eyes as she smiled weakly. "I'm glad you still care for me." She laughed shallowly, Sokka grinning.

"I'm not going anywhere, Persephone." He told her, the girl feeling the ache go away and she took a deep breath.

"I thought we were going to lose you." Katara cried, holding onto Persephone's hand.

"I'm okay." She murmured, Sokka moving her hair out of her face.

"Come on, let's get you somewhere to rest." Sokka said, Persephone getting up slowly and looked to Aang as Toph was next to him.

"Is Aang okay?" She asked, Katara nodding her head.

"He'll be fine. He just needs rest, like you." She told her, Persephone being laid on Appa, the bison licking her cheek as she smiled.

<><><>

In a couple of weeks, Persephone was slowly healing, walking around now with only a small ache in her back and she was strong enough for a small battle with Toph. The girl took a small breath, bowing as Toph did the same and the two circled each other.

Persephone moved her feet, a small skip towards Toph and she put her fist up, Toph blocking it with a wall of rocks, only for her to stop when she didn't feel the rock heat up.

Persephone wobbled, looking at her fist and trying again, a grunt leaving her lips. There was nothing, not even a burst of smoke. She saw Toph remove the wall and frown. "Is everything okay, Persephone?" She asked, the girl frowning. 

"I can't firebend." She breathed out, falling to the ground and holding her face. "This is what the Monks meant by consequences." She told Toph, the blind girl shaking her head.

"Monks?" She asked and Persephone waved it off.

"Remember when I said that there are things that you guys didn't understand?" She asked Toph and she nods her head. "Well, when Aang died, I think I lost my bending because I didn't protect him." She muttered, Toph's eyes widened.

"What?!" She asked, and Persephone rubbed her face.

"It's a long story. But I can't bend. Literally. Nothing." She said, making Toph grab her fist and she furrowed her eyebrows.

"Her hands are so cold." She told her, Persephone groaning.

"Great. Now how is Aang supposed to get a firebending teacher?" She asked, the two stuck on the problem.

And little did they know, it was just a bump in the road for the big plan ahead.

<>•<>•<>•