Chapter Ten

Legolas returned within two weeks, and he and Tara stuck together like glue. Tara was glad of the distraction, as being around his father so often was having a serious effect on her. If Thranduil noticed, he said nothing, but she was very aware of her changing thoughts and feelings, and wasn't comfortable with them at all.

Thranduil remained a solid source of support and guidance, taking her through rigorous training and practice sessions, and spending his free time with her. They talked a lot about the past, her mother, and what had happened in their lives since she had been taken away from the safety of the palace centuries before.

Not long after Legolas's return, he was out on a night patrol on the near side of the forest, and she was restless. She hadn't left the palace grounds since being captured by the guards the day she had attacked the King, and her feet were itching to go off and explore.

Knowing Thranduil would put his foot down and deciding that he wasn't her father so she could go if she pleased, she sneaked off under the cover of darkness in search of her friend.

Finding him without too much effort, she stealthily climbed a tree nearby and sat high in the branches in wait for him and his group of guards to pass underneath.

Letting out a scream that could have risen the dead, she dropped out of the tree and crashed onto his back, sending him tumbling from his horse and rolling onto the forest floor with a volley of curses.

"Tara!" he yelled, jumping to his feet, his eyes wide with fright.

She burst out laughing and rolled onto her side, tears of laughter rolling down her face.

"Oh my God Tara, that was not funny!" he said, brushing leaves and dirt from his clothing.

She couldn't speak for laughing. "You should have seen your face!" she howled eventually, and he started to laugh despite himself.

"I hate you, you know that?!" He tried to sound angry, but failed miserably.

"No you do not," she challenged. "I brighten up your mundane life."

He nodded, trying to wipe the grin from his face. "You are nothing but trouble, my Lady," he told her, pulling her to her feet. "How did you get so close without being noticed?"

"Because I am that good," she shot back. "I have years' experience of sneaking around without being detected."

"Somehow, I think I am better off not asking," he muttered. "We were about to stop for something to eat; will you join us?"

"I would love to," she said enthusiastically.

The guards had relaxed, knowing that their Prince was not in any danger, and they sat down under the trees to eat.

"Does my father know you are out here?" Legolas asked, tearing off a piece of bread.

"I do not know what he knows," she replied.

"Now there is a diplomatic answer if ever I heard one," he said to no one in particular. "He will go mad if he finds you gone from the palace."

She shrugged, chewing her own bread. "I will return in a few hours," she said. "And there will be no harm done."

"I shall remember those words," he grinned. "How is training?"

She grunted. "Difficult," she told him. "Apparently I do have as many faults as Thranduil pointed out, so he is working with me on improving my style and technique."

"You are learning from the best," he assured her.

The guards chatted amongst themselves, set a little away from the pair.