Chapter 2, Part 7: Clean-up drive

Armand heard a knock on the door as he was reading a book.

"Come in." He spoke.

Then sunlight peering from the window reflected on the door knob as the door opened.

"Dad? May I speak with you?" Felipe popped his head on the doorway.

"Oh sure, come in and have a seat." Armand offered.

Before Felipe sat down, he placed a piece of legal-sized bond paper in Armand's desk. Armand's attention was diverted to that piece of paper.

He placed the book down that he was reading and took the paper to read it.

"A memo requesting volunteering staff to a beach clean-up drive?" And Armand raised an eyebrow at Felipe.

Felipe only nodded and smiled brightly at his Dad. He heard his father inhaled slowly and saw him place his fingers on his chin.

"What for?" Armand asked.

Before speaking, Felipe cleared his throat, "Well, it's a good propaganda to promote our resort and you know how people are going green nowadays..."

Armand shifted on his seat and leaned forward to his desk, "Yeah well, that's good, son, but what's in it for you?"

Felipe paused and tried to think of an alibi. He also shifted on his seat as he tried to think. And after a few moments, he spoke out,

"I don't know, Dad... My birthday's coming up, and it's just three days away, and I want to give back, I guess."

Armand smiled and placed his hand on the paper, "You see? If you were Jules, he wouldn't come up with this kind of idea, but you Feli? You just did and you even said that you can't be trusted with things!" Armand mused.

"Thanks Dad." Felipe replied with a hint of blush in his cheeks.

Then a surprised expression slowly bled out of Armand's face.

"Wait... You're not telling me something, Feli... Are you inspired or something? By something or someone?" And he gave emphasis on the someone.

Felipe's eyes widened but he let out a nervous laugh, "Don't be ridiculous, Dad!"

Armand threw a look of disbelief at Felipe.

"Oh come on! You can't lie to me, son!" He jeered.

But Felipe paused and looked away with a hint of a smile on his lips.

"Well... There's this one girl..." He muttered.

"Uh-huh?" Armand giggled.

"She said that good people don't exist anymore... But I'm going to prove her wrong."

Armand leaned closer and placed his arms on the desk, "Or do you mean that you're going to impress her?"

Felipe couldn't help it; he let out a giggle and felt the butterflies in his stomach.

"No, Dad, I'm trying to prove my point." He tried to hide the giggling as he spoke.

"Well isn't it too overrated for going on a clean-up drive?" Armand teased.

This time, Felipe laughed and indeed, his Dad got him.

They started laughing afterwards. Armand stood up and went in front of his desk and closer to Felipe.

"I'm happy that you are enjoying your self here, son." Armand gently remarked.

"Thank you, Dad." Felipe replied politely.