c h a p t e r. 38

Start from the beginning

He made small talk.

Bar didn't reply.

He tried to play all of the brute's favorite songs.

Bar didn't sing.

He tried to tell dirty jokes.

Bar didn't laugh.

The brute felt numb. Numb and empty and just completely cold.

It wasn't supposed to be like this.

She wasn't supposed to leave him.

She promised.

As they passed two guys who were laughing on the sidewalk, one of them nursing a bloody nose, a startling thought crossed Bar's shattered mind.

"Can you call Obsidian?" He tiredly asked, voice croaky from crying so much as his dark eyes swollen and red from crying as they glanced over at the nerd.

"Oh, sure," Law gave a confused frown but pulled into a gas station to park his truck nonetheless. "Why?"

"She was crying," Bar said this even as tears were still stuck in his eyes, him not being able to say her name. "Crying people shouldn't drive. Can you, fuck, please just make sure she got home okay?"

Bar couldn't think about anything but their breakup.

About what he could have done better, what he could have said better to prevent the hole that was quickly forming in his chest.

His heart felt icy and he didn't want to get warm again.

Not without her.

Law nodded and proceeded to take out his phone and called the older twin, putting it on speaker.

He answered on the fifth ring.

"What is it, Lawrence," Obsidian said. "If you meant to call your boyfriend, this is the wrong number."

"No, I meant to call you. Eli's usually asleep now, anyway." Law said before clarifying, "I have a question."

"Well, I'm kind of busy and it's 3 in the morning so get on with it."

"Is Clementine okay?" Law and Bar stayed silent, the ladder anxiously awaiting the answer.

"Like, mentally? Not at all. You probably know this already, but they broke up."

Bar flinched.

"She's bawling and can't speak," Obsidian told them, Bar's fists clenched as his whole chest hurt. "But physically, she's okay. She called me to come get her so I did and I brought one of the butlers with me to drive her car back. Why? Is Red fine?"

"No, he's not. And he wanted me to call, he was just worried. Crying people shouldn't drive."

"Oh," The older twin said that, and then muffled speaking could be heard in the background. "Did he... is he safe?"

No. He's not.

"I thought you didn't care," Law grumbled, eyes locking with Bar's darker ones.

It was the truth.

Didn't make it hurt any less.

"I don't like him," Obsidian said. "But I care about him because Emy cares about him."

She doesn't care enough to stay.

"Got it," Law nodded to himself, lips pursed. "Take care of her, yeah?"

"Yeah, dude. Course."

Lawrence and Obsidian said their goodbyes, and then the nerd started to drive again.