Chapter 9**

"Are you ready to do this?" I shook my head. 

"No, but it's not like we really have a choice. It's only a matter of time before my dad starts hounding me to know who the father is." Devon paled. 

"Stay if front of me so that your dad won't feel compelled to punch me." I chuckled, and kissed his cheek. We still weren't together, but we were much more comfortable around each other. 

"Let's do this." We walked into my house, hand in hand. "Mom, dad?" 

"We're in the kitchen!" I followed my mom's voice, and tightened my grip on Devon's hand when we reached the kitchen door. 

"Stay calm, I'll make sure we get out of this relatively okay."

"Relatively doesn't sound too reassuring." I shrugged, and pushed open the door. My mom looked at the both of us with no words. She didn't necessarily look surprised because she knew Devon was the father. My father on the other hand looked positively livid. 

"The teacher? Are you kidding me, Jayda? You slept with your teacher? Was it for grades?" Ouch, dad.

"No, dad. The things is-" 

"The thing is nothing. I'm calling the school board right now, and I'm getting his license revoked!" One thing I hated with a passion is to be cut off mid-sentence. Being pregnant magnified that. 

"Dad, if you pick up that phone and dial the board, so help me God, you'll never see me or your grandchild again." He looked at me, and noticed the pure seriousness on my face. 

"Now like I was saying. This has nothing to do with grades. Me and Devon were caught in a messy situation, and we accidentally got married. Along the way, we decided to try this marriage out, and I found out I was pregnant. Devon has been good to me and this child. I'm not asking you to completely accept this, all I ask is that you don't condemn him."

"Why your teacher?"

"We married before we found out he was my teacher." My dad stared at us, before locking eyes with Devon.

"I don't like you. At all. If you hurt  my grandchild or child, I'm coming after you." Devon nodded with a serious face on. It seemed they had a silent conversation with their eyes before my dad turned and walked away.

"Well would you like to stay for a little?" Devon politely shook his head. 

"No ma'am. I actually need to make a stop at my parents' home now." My mother nodded. Once Devon turned she mouthed that we needed to talk and I nodded. I knew it wouldn't be this easy with coming clean about everything. 

"I'll be back home soon, mom." 

***

"My parents shouldn't be as scary as your dad." I laughed. "But I actually have a question before we walk in there." I raised my eyebrows as I waited for him to ask. "I know we planned on telling your dad that we would try this marriage out, but are you serious about it? Would you really try it out?"

I nodded shyly. I liked Devon a lot. The way he ruffled his hair when he got frustrated to the small dimple in his left cheek. "Yea, I want to see if we can make this work." He reached down and planted a  passionate kiss on my lips. 

"Okay, good." We walked into his parents' house to the back patio where everyone was. Brandon was there. The little girl, who I learned was Stacey, was there, and of course, Devon's parents. Brandon was first to notice that I was holding Devon's hand. 

"Hm got something to share?" Brandon had both his eyebrows raised, and a smirk on his face. He was convinced that his older brother had a crush on me; I didn't believe him until today. Devon cleared his throat. 

"Actually yes. The engagement with Chloe was called off." His mother gasped. 

"I thought you guys were perfect for each other. Oh, what happened?" He rolled his eyes. 

"Nothing mother. I didn't feel that Chloe was the one for me to spend the rest of my life with. We weren't very compatible." She scoffed. 

"Of course you were. Both beautiful." She glanced at me. "Both successful. It was perfect." I felt that much smaller in the eyes of his parents. I tried to inconspicuously sneak behind Devon, but he loosened his grip on my hand, and wrapped it around my waist. 

"Look, Chloe is not for me. I also came to tell you that Jayda is still my wife. We've decided that we are going to make it work." His father raised his eyebrows at me, but his mother shot daggers at me.

"Devon Clark, what s wrong with you? She is just a child!" 

"She is not a child. She is my wife, no discussion about it." Devon's tension filled voice, and no-nonsense face was enough to quiet his mother. 

"Can I speak to Jayda alone?" I know I looked like a dear in the headlights, but his father smiled reassuringly at me. Devon looked down at me for permission, and I nodded quickly. He released my waist, and I meekly followed Devon's father back into the house. 

He sat down on the same couch that I sat down on, the first time I ever came here. He patted the seat next to him for me to sit also. 

"Unlike my wife, I don't believe Devon and Chloe made  good match. I actually like you. I have one question. I just need you to answer as truthfully as possible." I nodded hesitantly. "Are you with my son because you want to be or because you're pregnant?" I gaped at him. I purposely wore a loose dress to avoid any mention of the bump. 

"How did-" He smiled knowingly. 

"Brandon tells me everything. Don't worry though, I basically forced it out of him. But please answer the question." 

"I'm with him because I like him a lot." He stared at me for a moment longer, before nodding. 

"I believe you. Let's go save Devon from his mother now." I giggled, and took Devon's father's hand for him to help me up. 

We walked back outside, and Devon automatically came to my side. "Is everything alright?" I smiled brightly at him.

"Yup. Just fine."

***********************************************************************

Hope you enjoyed!  I know it isnt the best but I promise it would get better. 

Vote! Comment! Fan me!

Love you guys! :P