Chapter 4**

I walked into my class and instantly spotted Dani. I plopped down next to her and groaned. Devon had been acting like a straight up butt hole, and he was basically impossible to be around. 

"Whats wrong. sis?" Even though we weren't literal sisters we still had a habit of calling each other sis.

"It's complicated." I knew I had to talk to Devon first before I told her anything. I had to find out what his problem was. 

I saw Brandon sitting a few desks away from and I stood and walked over to him. "What are you doing here? I've never seen you in this class before.

"Oh hey, I'm doing great. And yourself?" He answered sarcastically. I ignored him. "I just transferred to this class, sis." I glared at him.

"I've had to deal with your intolerable brother for the past hour, don't test my patience." He held up his hands in mock surrender.

 "I guess you don't want to know why Devon has been so snappy lately." I hesitated for a second. Brandon knew good and well I wanted to know. 

"Ugh, just tell me."

"You'll owe me." I rolled my eyes.

"Fine. Now spill." It was his turn to roll his eyes. 

"Chloe has been giving Devon a hard time. She is convinced that you are convincing Devon to leave her and stay with you." I scoffed. 

"That's the dumbest thing I heard. He was treating me like crap because of that?" Brandon shrugged. 

"Devin isn't always the sharpest crayon in the box." I chuckled at his insult of Devon. Brandon was a butt hole, just like his brother. 

 I grabbed my book bag and walked back over to Dani. She looked at me suspiciously. "What was that about?" I shrugged, not really wanting to answer. "How do you even know him?" 

I looked back across the room, where Brandon had moved to talk to some other kid in the class. I shrugged again. 

"Mutual friend."

***

I sat in the car with the air conditioning blasting, as I waited for Devon to come home. He was going to talk to me whether he liked it or not. We had forged a friendship through all of this, and I felt like I at least deserved an explanation from his mouth. 

Devon's car pulled up, and he didn't even look surprised when he saw me at his house. He parked his car, the opened his front door, and waited for me to go inside. He followed behind me, and walked to his kitchen. "Want anything to drink?" I shook my head no, and he grabbed a beer. 

He cracked it open, and took two long gulps before taking a deep breath. He leaned back against the counter, and waited for me to talk. When I didn't start, he took the initiative. "Hey Jay, what's up?" 

"How long was it going to be before you told me?" His face contorted into confusion.

"What are you talking about?"

"Chloe thinking I'm a master manipulator." His face turned slightly sheepish.

"Look-"

"No, just forget it. I just wanted to know why you were being such a butt towards me, but I know. I figured since we were somewhat friends, you'd have the decency to talk to me instead. Look, I know this is a mess. Soon, we can go our separate ways." I turned to leave the kitchen, but Devon grabbed my forearm. 

"Wait, Jay don't leave."

"I have to go, my parents are expecting me." We both knew I was lying, but he wasn't going to call me out on it.