Chapter 21 - Lucas

Start from the beginning

A choked sound tears out of me before I can stop it and I quickly cover my arm with my mouth to muffle the noise. Fuck me, I can't. I can't handle it when she says these things, like she's warning me that she won't be around to say them for long. I fucking can't. But I need those words no matter how much they hurt. It'll only hurt more if I never have them.

"You promise?" I whisper through a thick voice, squeezing my eyes shut to try and stop my tears. I can't keep losing my control every time we talk. I want her to remember me as strong, not this. But fuck if I can help it.

"I promise. I'll always be with you," She repeats. "Even when I'm not."

"Stop," I beg. I can feel anger unfurling inside of me and reach it into to replace the way I'm cracking apart from the inside. I'll feel anything but this pain. "You're here. You're here, okay? Just stay, Mom. Please."

Her voice takes on a raspier note. "I'll do my very best, my love. Just for you."

"Good," I clear my throat and angrily swipe at my face. Fuck. I need to pull it together. "I love you a little more everyday."

"I love you," She clears her throat too and offers a little laugh. "Whew. And to think I called you to ask how shopping with Olivia went."

"Don't. Don't ask me about that," I groan. What the hell am I supposed to tell her? That I went down on Olivia so hard my tongue is still sore even though an entire day has passed? My dick twitches from the memory of it alone and I curse, shifting in my seat. "Can we change the subject?"

"That bad?" Mom asks.

Little does she fucking know. "Something like that."

"Hmm. I guess that makes two of you."

"What's that mean?"

"Poor Liv isn't doing so great either. She got food poisoning this morning. We had to call off tomorrow's party."

I sit up straight, frowning. I got a text earlier from Mom saying Olivia's birthday party was off but didn't know why until now. Didn't question it either. "Is Olivia home?"

"No. Still on campus. Zack is with her right now looking after her. The poor girl can't even sit up by herself."

Fuck. I look around and my frown deepens when I realize Zack isn't here either. I don't know why but it bugs the shit out of me that I didn't find out about this sooner and that everyone is doing something except for me. A week ago I wouldn't have batted one fucking eye but now I'm suddenly bothered that Olivia didn't ask for me or doesn't need me. It's such a stupid fucking thought but I can't shake it. It's not like just because we fooled around she's my responsibility or some shit but...isn't she?

"Can I call you back?" I mumble into the phone, already heading for the door.

"Sure. Could you let Olivia know her parents will stop by in an hour to get her?"

"No need," I throw my door open and trek the short distance across the hall to her dorm. "I'll handle it."

The line goes silent so suddenly I pull my phone away to check if the call got cut off. It still reads that Mom is there so I put it back to my ear, waiting.

"You'll...handle it?" Mom finally asks.

"Yeah. I got it from here. You're saying she can barely sit up and now you want her to be stuck in a moving car, which'll probably make her more nauseous and sick? Fuck it. I'll handle it."

Mom makes an incoherent sound, something like a squeak, and I frown harder as I step inside Olivia's dorm. I take a look around the empty living room, noticing the towels and blankets strewn everywhere.