[1] Lunch Date

92 DAYS BEFORE

JUNE 1ST

10:23 AM

sum ∙ mer1

/'semer/

noun

1. the warmest season of the year, in the northern hemisphere from June to August and in the southern hemisphere from December to February.

That is, according to the Wikipedia page, but I think we all know the true meaning of summer, at least most of us do.

A BREAK. A wonderful three month break from the depressing and stressful word we know as 'school' to do whatever the hell you want.

Unless you have a summer job, which for the record, is me.

But anyways, I could probably list off a million (a bit over-exaggerating) things as to why summer vacation is tip-top, as well as the many activities to do during this three month break. Yet this is quite ironic because here I was, laying on my bed and doing absolutely nothing but admiring the feeling of sleeping in. Oh how I've missed you, summer.

My phone went off and at first I refused to pick it up, for who would call at 10:30 in the morning on the first day of summer. But on the fourth ring I reached over to my nightstand and grabbed hold of my phone, touching the answer bar.

"Hello?" I answered, not bothering to look who was calling.

"Rise 'n shine sleeping beauty." His voice immediately brought a wide grin to my face.

"It's too early to be up." I replied, stifling a yawn.

"Even if I said we were going out for lunch? My treat."

I laughed. "Sorry but I don't quite remember discussing this with you."

"That's because I planned on keeping it a surprise. But I figured if I just randomly showed up at your house, I'd have to wait two to three hours until you were finally ready, then there would really be no point in going out for lunch."

"It's the first day of summer Nathan, don't you want to spend it just relaxing at your house?"

"If you don't want to hang out then I understand--"

"No, it's just that, you don't have to do this, you know. You're always so great at always spending time with me; I don't want you to feel like you're forced to."

"Forced to? Damn Hailey, you just figured this out?"

My jaw dropped slightly and I frowned, not knowing what to say. Excuse me?

"I'm kidding." He said, laughing softly over the line.

I rolled my eyes and was about to reply when the doorbell rang. "You might want to get that." He said.

I raised my eyebrow in surprise, heaving myself off the bed. "You heard that?"

There was a moment of silence before he replied with a yes.

Slowly making my way downstairs, I didn't bother trying to fix myself up or some shit like that for I figured it was my brother's friend, or a friend of my mom's, or some delivery guy, etc. After I yawned once more, I placed my hand onto the doorknob and turned it.

"Now who the hell would come to my door at--" I immediately paused when I realized who was at the door.

I raised my eyebrows and began laughing, and he stood a few feet away from me, cracking a smile.