35• |Familiar lineaments|

Mulai dari awal

The next day, when Manik woke up, he found Nandini's side to be empty. After a minute of sitting on the bed to get control of his senses, Manik got up on his feet and found himself following the way out from where he was hearing Nandini.

He reached the kitchen and stopped at the doorstep itself to watch his wife. It seemed like she was packing some food for their travel just how a dutiful wife of a regular Indian household would do. He admired how beautifully, the qualities of a cultural woman blended with her modern and upright personality.

She seemed to be in deep thoughts which is why she hadn't yet noticed him standing there. On realising that, Manik carefully tip-toed towards her and caught her off guard by taking her in a back hug. Her slit floral kurti allowed his hands to rest on her bare waist making her heart skip a beat or two.

“You're up already? I thought you'll sleep for a while.” Nandini said after she composed herself. He ignored her words and let his head dive into the valley of her neck by moving aside her hairs that were still damp from the shower she had taken just a few minutes ago.

She closed her eyes tightly at the sensation and held onto the kitchen slab for some support. His touch made her lose her sanity and moments like these made her realise how much she loved it.

“Are you not mentioning about how I upset you yesterday because you've actually forgotten it or just because I'm overwhelmed and you don't want to bother me?” he questioned right into her ears in a husky voice. Well, that wasn't fair. He knew exactly how their proximity drove her and yet he was using it to get his way through things. She decided to control the urge and not speak until he creates a safe distance between them because that is the only way she can be truly honest with him.

Like she expected him to leave her once he didn't get a response from her, he did.  She smirked to herself on deciphering how good she was getting at handling her husband and his usual tactics. He pulled her to face him and when she did he stood a little away to get a look of her face. Her after-shower face devoid of any make-up, always managed to bewitch him. Now again, that was a thought he could ponder over later.

“Which one?” he coaxed her to answer his question.

“A little of both, maybe. I don't want to bother you with this because you are vulnerable right now and in the meanwhile I will try my best to forget it as well.” Nandini answered him truly.

“Well, that's very understanding of you and I do realise that I should not take it for granted. I'm really sorry, Nandini.” he said holding her elbows as if she was a glass doll. She passed a gentle smile and moved into his embrace to rest her chin on his chest and looked up in his eyes.

“I do understand how you feel when I lie to you but you need to get one thing that I am your wife and I will never do a thing to hurt you, not intentionally atleast. To be very honest, you scared me last night. Our relationship isn't just based on love, in fact it started with some absurd kind of trust we had on each other. And knowing that the trust is so fragile from your part is terrifying to me. I cannot help but wonder that where will that lead our relationship? But, I do know that this is a delicate matter for you so I think I can let it slide this time.” Nandini said opening up to him. She knew that keeping this inside herself will make things toxic for them and she wasn't going to let it happen just like that.

“I understand! I promise, I'm going to work on trusting you beyond what I get to see or hear. You know why do I have so much trouble in trusting anyone but I don't want you to think that it's like that with you. My actions don't say it but I do trust you with my life, Nandini. I'll make you believe in it too. Just never leave my hand.” Manik said tightening his hold around her. She nodded in assurance as if he need not even say that. She wasn't going to leave him for something as silly as this. She married him to be his constant companion through all the ups and downs in their life and she had hinged herself to never break that vow.