49: Please I Do Not Want a Heart

Author's note: A little disclaimer. This is a world far different from our own. In this world there are only three continents. East, middle and west are just to name the location of these continents. It is totally unrelated to the current or past events. I am an asian myself and currently living in North America, so please I do not mean any bad. Thank you always for reading. I hope you enjoy 🥰

Thanks to the tonics, he still can ran from the guards but he is unable to escape due to the unprecedented baggage.

"Hic, hic, hic..."

"Quiet!" He hissed at the little girl. "This is not what they told us! Tsk."

The ruler of the far east continent received an information about the weakening strength of the Empire. The greed of the east that makes them kill each other for a piece of land had wondered, what if there are more land in the far west? What if they just take more from there?

The East is filled with uncouth people, and there are so many people, so many. Food is never enough, land is never enough and power is never enough. Even how many of your own you killed, there are still thousands of them that will snatch everything away from you.

His lord is tired of protecting his own feudal land and the only way to get out of the sick cycle they have to get away from the East.

One day the feudal lord saw a mage reflected in water, at first they are scared because it is the first of witnessing such absurd phenomena but the words of the mage gave them enlightenment and knowledge about an Empire in the far west which is thriving than any place in this planet. The continent the mage spoke of sounds like a promise land and they crave for it. For years they have so many failed attempt to break into the borders but recently they got a help from the inside. Their lord sent the bests of his warriors and met the mage in the water for the first time.

The mage told them where to set up a camp and how to prevent beasts from attacking them. They told him who to kill in order to get hold of the power of the Empire. However, before they head out out of that place, one of them took a hostage.

When he saw a glance of the little girl, he find himself entranced and decided to convinced his comrades that having a hostage will be beneficial so that the mage or the place where they entered will not stab them at their backs and if things go haywire, they can exchange the girl for their lives.

Now, it seems that it came true, though upon seeing the man with his red eyes, he knows that an exchange of hostage for his dear life will not happen. He thought of killing the girl so he can move faster like his comrades but his instincts is telling him that he will die right away if he let go of this tiny life in his arm.

As per their training, they all separate from each other in order to get away faster than being in a group. However, the disadvantage of such act is they do not know if someone had died or if he is the only one that remains. But all they need to do is just get out there.

Not far from the distance, he smelt a familiar scent. He turned his head and saw a figure sitting down against a tree. He contemplates if he should go and help but an injured comrade will be nothing but a hindrance. Then he feel up the inside of his pouch.

'I am running out of tonics.'

He cannot help him, but stealing his comrade's tonics will help him greatly. He put down the girl who is already far tired from crying and passed out once again. He slowly and precisely sneak in behind his comrade but-

.....

When Joseph felt the foreign presence, he tried to lower his aura as possible. Joseph is a lot bigger than this people and his idea might not have work if there still light. However, there is not even a moon in the sky which might make his plan work.