Chapter Eighty-Three: On Second Thought...

Start from the beginning

"I'm going upstairs," I said, handing the drink back to him.

"Aww, why?"

"Because I don't want to be here," I said simply.

"Why?" he repeated.

"I don't know, John, take a wild guess," I replied sarcastically.

"Hmm...oh, I thought...I don't know."

I rolled my eyes. "You know I don't like crowds," I mumbled. "Besides, it's already eleven. I'm tired."

"Fine," he said, turning around without so much as a goodbye.

I turned around and stormed towards the door, reeling in frustration. I didn't know why he was being such a jerk.

"Donna?"

"Not now, Paul."

"Why've you got your face all twisted?"

I stopped and turned with a sigh, knowing he wasn't going to give up until I said something to him. "I don't know, Paul, take a wild guess," I repeated to him instead of John.

He seemed to get the hint. "What did he do?" His words were slurred.

"I'm not telling a drunk man my problems," I said stubbornly. "Besides, it's none of your business."

"Oh, feisty tonight, are we, Donna?" He chuckled. "You know what the benefits of telling a drunk man your problems are?"

"What are they, Paul?"

"I won't remember any of it in the morning!"

"Brilliant."

"I'll give you my drunken advice and then by tomorrow, it'll be a secret all over again. Isn't that tempting?"

As he spoke, he leaned in closer to my face and each time, I moved away. "Oh, yeah, very." I rolled my eyes.

He frowned. "Jesus, you are stubborn."

"Lovely of you to notice, but I thought that was established already."

"Oh, come on," he groaned. "I want to help."

"Paul, it's really nothing. John's just being a prick. It's nothing new, for God's sake."

He took a long drink of whatever was in his glass. "Should I go hit him for you?"

"What? No, of course you shouldn't."

He shrugged. "Have it your way."

"I'm going upstairs. Bye, Paul."

I turned to leave, but he caught my arm and turned me back around again. "Wait!"

"What the hell do you want?" I snapped.

"Wanna hear a secret?"

"Not really."

"I used to be convinced I was in love with you." He broke off into a fit of giggling as he watched a look of shock come across my face.

I let out a dry laugh. "Funny joke," I mumbled.

"Oh, no, I'm dreadfully serious."

"And why are you telling me this?"

He shrugged. "The look on your face is priceless."

"Of course it is."

"You still don't believe me," he said.

"Of course I don't. You're drunk."

"A drunk man's words are a sober man's thoughts," he leaned closer and whispered.

I swallowed. "That seems like pretty uncharted territory," I commented. "Considering I'm about to marry your best friend.

"Well, of course it is now. It wasn't when I first met ye, though!"

"Why am I still talking to you?" I didn't understand why I was finding it so hard to just leave.

"It's clear that you care," he responded.

"No, I don't." I looked around the room, searching for John. I caught sight of him across the room, leaned against the wall and staring blankly at where I'd just been standing moments before. If he could see Paul right now, he'd be furious.

"Ah, but that's where you're wrong. You said it yourself, Donna—why are you still here, talking to me?"

"Because you won't let me leave?" I said through gritted teeth.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a wandering girl stride up to John. His eyes searched the room and he began to talk to her, a flirtatious grin on his face.

"On second thought, Paul," I said.

"What?"

"You have my permission to pummel John." I turned curtly and left the room.

~~~

:/