Chapter Sixty-Eight: All in the Name of Love

May 26, 1964

"John, for God's sake, I'm fine." I looked over at him with a silly smile for the fiftieth time in the past hour.

"You're absolutely positive?" he asked.

I gave him a curious look. "What's gotten into you? You're always protective, but this is a whole 'nother level of it."

He shrugged. "I guess that woman back there just pissed me off more than usual."

I looked around at the bus we were on, taking a little tour around LA before we caught our flight back to London. I leaned my head down on his shoulder as I continued to peek out the window. Our tour guide began to talk to us again, so my chance to respond was taken straight away from me.

When he finished telling us about our surroundings, I looked back up and saw that John wasn't looking at anything outside, but rather, he was staring down at me.

"Something catch your eye?" I asked him tenderly, smiling.

He chuckled. "Same thing as always," he quipped.

"So, you're telling me you've never had anyone else catch your eye?" I joked, removing my head from atop his neck so I could fully look at him.

"Hmm," he said. "Of course I have. Brigitte Bardot."

"Yeah?" I played along. "And what's she got that I don't?"

"Absolutely nothing. You've got everything I could ever want, and more! You're bloody fantastic."

"Aw, stop it." I waved my hand in a teasing manner.

"I will never," he assured me. "I will keep telling you that you are the best until you believe it."

"Which may very well be never," I responded with a little smirk and he frowned at me.

"Then I'll never stop, I guess."

"Right," I said sheepishly. "How can you be so sure?" I didn't know where the sudden insecurity had come from.

He looked at me with a cheeky smile, reaching down to pick up my left hand, pointing to the ring on my finger. "That's how I know." He raised his eyebrows. "I've already made the commitment."

I smiled. "Yes, of course."

The tour guide broke into another spiel, droning on about some famous people's houses we were driving by now. I knew that we were almost to the airport where we'd find someplace to eat before our flight departed.

When he finally stopped talking, we saw Pattie and George move so they were sat in the seats in front of us.

"Ready to go home?" asked George, leaning around the side of the seat to face us.

"For a week?" asked John. "Not at all."

"And why's that?" I asked him.

"I wish I could be going home to stay," he whined.

"Oh, cry on," I said teasingly.

"Alright," he said, leaning his head against my shoulder and pretending to cry.

"Aww, poor baby," I cooed.

Everyone laughed and John sat back up, averting his eyes to the scenery around us.

"How many famous people do you think are around us right now?" asked George.

"Well, I can count at least two around me," I said teasingly.