Internet Dating (Chapter Twenty-Three)

Chapter Twenty Three

“So when are we going to do this?” I asked Zeke.

He had placed himself down next to me in the school hall. Everyone had been called to an urgent assemble. I didn't have a clue what it was or why they were interrupting my break time.

“Well, see what happens here first,” Zeke said.

“What do you mean?” I asked confused.

“Haven’t you heard?” he asked, slightly smiling.

“Obviously not,” I said annoyed.

“The water pipe burst, there’s no water, they can’t legally keep us here,” Zeke shrugged.

“Really?” I asked surprised.

“Just listen, Alex,” he complained slightly.

It turns out they couldn’t legally keep us here while there was no water, and would you believe it we actually got to go home three hours before school was actually over [Author’s Note: This actually happened at my school the other day (I live in Australia, btw). They sent us home halfway through the day after only having one class all day. Best day of school EVER!!!]

I went to grab everything from my locker before I left when I bumped in to Blake. I had been doing a good job of avoiding him up until hen.

“Hey, this is pretty cool, hey?” Blake asked.

“Yeah, yeah, really, cool,” I said.

“Are you okay?” he asked, touching my arm.

“Yeah, why wouldn’t I be?” I asked.

“Good,” he said, leaning down and kissing me softly. “Do you want to do something this afternoon.”

I bit my lip. “Ar, I’m so sorry, but I have something planned.”

“With who?” he asked.

“Zeke,” I said slowly.

”Thought you weren’t talking to him,” Blake said. Do I sense a hint of jealously?

“I wasn’t, but he apologised. I know, real big of him, but I promised I’d help him set up Harriet and Kane. Sorry,” I added.

“No, it’s fine. We’ll do something another time, okay?”

“Yeah, of course we can.”

He kissed me once more before I made my way back out to my car (hell, yeah!) were I meet Zeke. If you didn't figure it out yet, I didn't’ tell Blake about my birthday, and now I was ditching him for Zeke. Sad, right? He’s my boyfriend and I get to kiss him whenever I want, but I felt more comfortable around Zeke to be honest.

“Did you set it up?” I asked him.

“Yeah, Harriet’s on her way, and Kane is already there... well almost. He'll be Harriet, don't worry,” he promised.

“Let’s do this,” I smiled.

Zeke and I got into my car, and I started to drive. As I drove I realised I didn’t want to be with Blake. Being with Blake and Zeke was a total different thing. Sometimes I wasn’t sure who I wanted to be with, but at this present moment it was Zeke.

“This car is pretty bit, maybe you could drive us all to the concert,” Zeke said.

“Oh, shit the concert,” I swore suddenly. “When is that?”

“Two weeks, Alex. How could you forget? You had a go at me for buying the tickets, remember?” Zeke asked.

Yeah, I do remember that because then I got pissed at him because I knew I couldn’t afford that. Wait... if I can’t afford $70, how did my sister afford this car? Surely something was wrong there, that’s why I didn’t have a car in the first place... not enough money, and now suddenly I do... why she’s dying?

“Alex,” Zeke snapped, trying to get my attention.

“Yeah...mm, I’m listening,” I jumped.

“Green light, go,” Zeke said.

“Oh, yeah, right, going,” I said, slamming my foot on the pedal.

The trick to this plan was one of two things. One, Kane’s parents owned the café we were setting them up in, but the plan was really relying on was it Zeke was a good enough thief. We walked into the café and spotted Kane behind the counted. I immediately ducked behind cover because seeing me wasn’t part of the plan.

“Get the keys,” I whispered, “and be quick, that’s Harriet’s car.”

He nodded and then rushed off in the opposite direction of me.

I ran outside to meet Harriet who looked puzzled at the fact I was rushing.

“Hey, what’s up?” she asked.

“Nothing, I just need a drink,” I muttered.

She frowned. “Kane works today.”

“So, I’ll order. They’ll still give a discount, that’s the only reason we still go here,” I pointed out.

She sighed but nodded as she made her way through. I hurried after her in the hope Zeke had pulled through and Kane would seem non-existent.

Glancing at the counter I realised neither of them were there. I sighed in relief and Harriet gave me a look.

“No Kane,” she said.

“Yeah, yeah, I know. Hey, can we go to the bathroom first?” I asked quickly.

“Um, sure,” she said slightly confused.

I literally pushed to the back of the shop where the corridor was. I had to be quick if I wanted any chance of locking in a cupboard with Kane. Now, all we need is Kane.

Right one cue Zeke worked through with Kane. They both froze when they saw each other and Zeke and I smiled before springing and then shoving them both in the closet between the bathrooms. They protested loudly, swore at us and dammed us to yell. Harriet yelled at Kane for the keys then he swore again when he realised they were gone.

“You’re not coming out till you two start talking... or kissing, I couldn’t care less at this point,” I told them.

“I’m going to kill you!” Harriet screamed at me.

“Sure you are,” I whispered, turning back to Zeke who was controlling his laughter.

They eventually stopped banging on the door and we couldn’t hear what they were saying so we presumed they were either talking quietly or locked in an intimate moment. I sighed and sat down on the floor leaning against the wall. Zeke glanced at me before he did the same and it wasn’t until I found myself staring at him did I realise I was alone with Zeke. Just like Harriet was alone with Kane.