Internet Dating (Chapter Forty Six)

Chapter Thiry Six

I wasn’t going to lie, I felt like shit the next day, and the best part was I had school. I hadn’t spoken to Tara, I hadn’t even seen her this morning, and she was out the door before I was awake. I dragged myself to school and on the way had only one thing on my mind. Zeke. Yes, that sounds bad, but I’m only thinking that because I know I can talk to him… about Claire and I know he wouldn’t tell.

While I walked along the grass the entrance of the school I spotted Kane and Harriet together walking over. Kane had his arm around Harriet, which didn't surprise, but what did was how he held her. She was upset… angry maybe, but there was one thing that I knew, he was comforting her.

I ran over to them and caught up and I saw Harriet glance at me and gave me a slit look.

“Harriet, what’s up?” I asked.

“Alex, I wouldn’t,” Kane warned.

“Why? What did I do?” I asked, jumping in front of them so I walking backwards in front of them.

“Alex, seriously…” Kane said again, giving me a look.

“No, tell me,” I demanded. I mean my life is already as fucked up as it can get, how much worse can it get?

Suddenly Harriet stopped and she looked mad. She gave Kane a look and he backed off, removing his arm.

“Why didn't you tell me?” Harriet asked.

“Tell you what?” I frowned.

“Tell me about Claire!” she yelled.

I stood there for a moment before I spoke. “Oh.”

“Oh! Seriously, that’s all you can say? She’s been sick for nearly three months and you’ve known the whole time, and then you trust Zeke over me! Don’t even start with me how… frustrated that makes me,” Harriet said through.

“I can trust you too, Harriet, you know that. Zeke just understands what I’m going through,” I said quickly.

“Yeah, but I think I have every right to know! Claire and I are as good a friend and you and I, she is sick, very sick…. and you just weren’t going to say anything. So you were what, going to let her die and then tell me?!” Harriet asked, clenching her fists together.

“Of course not,” I said quickly. “I…I-.”

“You what? Alex, you’re meant to be my best friend, and you told Zeke… you don’t think I can help you as well? You don’t think I’d care? It just frustrates me,” she complained.

I opened my mouth to speak but I frozen on the spot. Kane noticed my inability to move and Harriet’s potential to punch the hell out me and grabbed Harriet’s arm and pulled her back slightly.

“Please, Harriet,” I begged softly.

“You think you can trust Zeke, well I wouldn’t have thought to call Claire if he hadn’t let something slip,” she said.

“I’m sure he didn't mean to. I trust him, and… he wouldn’t lie to me,” I whispered.

“Oh, well guess again. He’s been lying to you, for a long time, and he told me everything,” she said evilly.

I knew I shouldn't say anything more. I knew I shouldn’t ask what she meant, but something told me I needed to.

“What do you mean?” I gulped.

“He’s that so-called whocares idiot you keep talking about, and he knew it was you he’s been talking to, and he told me. You know what’s worse; he figured this out around the time of the dance. So he’s known for like two weeks and he continued to talk to you, not to mention the fact he knew it was you,” Harriet spat at me.