Internet Dating (Chapter Twenty Eight)

Chapter Twenty Eight

Our lips never meet. I wasn’t sure if I should be disappointed or not. I mean, I had leant in to get closer. Still, it wasn’t me who had come to my senses. It was Zeke. At the last second I think he finally realised what he was doing and moved away from me.

He stood up leaving me sitting there feeling like a big idiot. He scratched the back of his head.

“We should go,” he said.

“We just got here,” I protested.

“You need to get back for that dinner,” Zeke said no longer giving me the option to stay.

I sighed and stood up. When I was up Zeke made sure I couldn’t get that close to him again while we were here.

There was no singing on the way back. It was completely silent expect for the occasional “turn left’s” from the GPS. I didn’t want it to be silent because that meant I had more time to think about what happened. The almost kiss. The one that never happened, but I knew deep down I wanted it to happen. I wanted to relive that feeling I got when I kissed Zeke. The feeling that was a whole lot better than kissing Blake. You have no idea how tempted I was to just grab Zeke and kiss him right now.

Zeke pulled up to the front of my house and I was almost tempted to make no movement and just sit there.

“Well… have fun,” Zeke said.

“I… enjoyed what there was of today. I mean, it’s got to be better then what I’m about to face,” I shrugged.

“Yeah, it was… fun,” Zeke nodded.

You mean, romantic, magical, dreamy…

“I’ll see you tomorrow then,” I said.

“Yep, tomorrow,” he said, turning away from me. 

Zeke’s P.O.V

Once Alex was out of the car I made no movement to turn it back on or drive away. I literally was still frozen. I would’ve kissed her! I knew it. There is so many things wrong with kissing her though, and mainly they involved Blake. There’s nothing wrong when I kissed Alex… when I kissed her it was like bliss and so much more, no, it was more the problem that she had a boyfriend and he would totally beat me up if I kissed his girlfriend. If that thought wouldn’t have run through my head I have no doubt in my mind I would’ve kissed her.

I gripped to the steering wheel and told myself to drive away, but not nothing happened. I wanted to run in there, grab Alex and kiss her, and that’s all my brain seemed to be able to cope with.  

“You know, it’s kind of creepy you sitting there like that,” someone said, poking their head through the open window of the passenger seat.

I jumped a bit. “Oh, far out, Tara,” I complained

“Man, am I really going to kill everyone here?” Tara asked, with a smile as she opened the door and got into my car.

“Do you mind?” I asked her.

“Not really,” she shrugged. “It’s a nice car.”

“Thanks, but I kind of need to go,” I said.

“Well, if you needed to go you would’ve left ten minutes ago when Alex got out of your car,” Tara sighed.

I sighed and let go of the steering wheel. Tara smiled like she had accomplished something. Ha, yeah, right.

“It doesn’t talk a genius to see you like her,” Tara said. “More like a mastermind”

“Real hilarious,” I muttered.

“Oh, come on, Zeke. It’s cute. You two have been friends since the beginning of time, and now you’re all grown up everything seems so real,” Tara smiled.

“What are you going on about?” I asked.

She sighed. “I know I was in out of here all the time, but I have a good memory. You two were best friends since you were two, when I first meet you. Back then you two like each other, and people change and Alex managed to forget, and you’re only realising again.”

“You don’t have that good a memory,” I said.

She shrugged. “Photos are just as good.”

“What’s the point of all this?” I asked her.

“Oh, well to be honest for once in my life I’m stumped. Usually I would tell you to ruin their relationship so you get her, but she’s my cousin, and even I’m not that mean. Though, I don’t understand. I mean, yes, Blake is totally hot, but a total player, where you are sweet and also very hot,” Tara muttered to herself while in deep thought.

“Um… thanks,” I frowned.

“You should be thanking me,” Tara said, but was then back her thoughtful look. “You need to show her that you’re better than Blake… though I think she’s trying to avoid thinking about you…”

“Look, Tara thanks for this, but Harriet is already on me about this, I don’t need another one,” I said quickly.

Tara looked at me for a moment unfortunately still very thoughtful.

“You don’t like that,” she observed. “You don’t like that Harriet’s trying to help.”

“It’s not that she’s trying to help, more that’s she bugging me,” I said.

“I like Harriet, she’s one of the very few I’ll put up with, but now she has that Kane guy. Must be intimidating.”

“Okay, why you don’t you just get out so I can go home?” I asked really annoyed now.

Tara smiled. “And now thinking about Alex makes you made. Oh, you really are made for each other.”

“Out,” I ordered.

She was still smiling when she got out of my car. She didn't walk away though; she came back to the window and smiled.

“I will help you whether you like it or not,” Tara said, in a slightly threatening voice. “And you should be thanking me.”

“Really? For what?” I asked.

“You’re actually going to drive away now, aren’t you?” she smiled.