Chapter 1

I woke up to my alarm clock and my phone buzzing like crazy. It was 5:30 a.m. I grabbed my phone and read through the messages all coming from the group chat O C E A N .

Everyone in that group chat was a straight up vibe.

***

First you had Cynthia she was 16 ... she was the prettiest and the best at surfing. She was also a flirt, a guy or girl could never tell if she was actually into them or if they were just another game.

Then you had Aaron he was 17. He was the skater boy of the group. He acted really dumb on camera yet he was the smartest in reality. He made a 36 on the act his sophomore year. He was mediocre at surfing.

Next you had Avani she was 18. She was the gymnast of the group. She was super flexible. She wasn't really into surfing yet somehow was really good at it- not the best but wow, she still managed to ride the waves as if it were walking.

The final boy of our group was Quinton he was 17. He was like the boy version of Cynthia. He could get anyone he wanted- he was stunning and a flirt. He flirted with me a lot, of course at times I would think it was real but I was wrong every time.

Then their was me. Avery. I was the youngest- I'm 15 soon to be 16 in two months. I wasn't the most attractive person on earth. Especially when beside my friends but I was probably the purest in heart. I barely could surf. My friends would make fun of me for it- jokingly I hope. I could never tell.

***

The group chat was full of messages making sure everyone was up and on their way to our usual hangout spot at the beach. I messaged a " 🌊 " emoji as confirmation that I was up.

I went into the kitchen and grabbed a bottle of water, banana, and an apple taking it back to my room. I ate the fruits and drank all the water as quickly as possible then changing into my outfit for today.

I chose a boho styled blue swimsuit, a pair of light blue Lululemon shorts, white Birkenstock's, and my beach necklace.

Once done changing I grab a random bag and throw my phone, portable charger, and keys into it

Once done changing I grab a random bag and throw my phone, portable charger, and keys into it. I go through the kitchen again and throw granola bars, fruit, and 3 bottles of water into it. I go to the laundry room and grab my wallet off of the shelf and throw it into the bag as well. I exit the house and get into my white Jeep blaring my "V I B E S" playlist filled with lofi type music and popular songs except their in slow mow.

SZA The Weekend (SlowMo) came on.

I nodded my head back and forth feeling the beat an singing the words as loud as possible while staring at the road and feeling the wind hit my skin. I was driving on highway 90 the beach road. I would occasionally stare at the ocean. I was 20 minutes from our secluded spot but first I had to pick up Quinton.

He didn't have a car yet because his mom didn't feel the need to purchase him one since he was always going back and fourth between Seaside, Florida and Cali.

I pull rolled up to his house turning the music down so I wouldn't wake anyone in the neighborhood up. I sent him a quick message saying "i'm here" I sat in my seat for a minute until I saw Quinton slightly jogging towards my vehicle with his board in his hand. He put it in the back by mine and hopped in the passenger seat.

"Hey." He said in a raspy tone probably because he just woke up.

I gave him a smile and returned the word. I then press the gas pedal and drive for like a minute before I turn up the music a tad bit then start humming and vibin' again. Quinton joined in when W O R K O U T came on. 

We were 5 minutes away by the time the song ended. The next song to play was G O O S E B U M P S slowed down. I related to this song the most so I sang a tad bit louder.

This song reminded me of Quinton. He made me feel weird. I could never tell whether anything he did was genuine. Sometimes I would find him staring at me. He and I had never been a thing. Honestly I think he knows I have a tiny thing for him. I started thinking this because it's like he would play with me. For example one time everyone had left the beach band it was only Quinton and I. We were staring at the sun rise and he randomly kissed me on the lips. It was a great moment but after the moment it was never spoken of again. I could think of several moments off of my head that were like that. And they all consisted of him never speaking of it again and leaving me even more confused about my feelings for him. Were they even real? Or did they just trigger something inside of me. I have never dated anyone, Quinton was my first and only kiss. Maybe him kissing me triggered me to want more causing me to think their was something their that I felt for him when all reality I just wanted what every other teenager wanted.

I snapped out of my thoughts and continued driving pulling up to the private beach. I parked beside everyone else's car. I hopped out and Quinton already had pulled out our boards. I took off my shorts and shoes laying them on the floor of the drivers seat along with my purse. I grabbed my board from Quinton and began to thank him. He cut my thankyou off with a peck on the lips then ran off.

I stood there looking like a dummy with butterflies in my stomach. The things like this that he did made me wonder if he felt something.

"AVY! You coming?" I spinned around and faced the noise. It was Avani. I nodded and ran into the sunrise with them.