26 | Acting Strange

Start from the beginning

***

"Why do I feel like you're avoiding one of those jocks," Chris asks Stephanie with a raised eyebrow as they arrive at her locker.

"What....what makes you think that?" Steph asks with an awkward laugh.

"I don't know," Chris shrugs. "Apart from the fact that you left in a hurry and you're avoiding eye contact right now."

"That doesn't prove anything. I'm not avoiding any of them," Steph denies.

"You're terrible at lying but because I'm a nice guy, I'll drop the subject," Chris says with a tongue click.

Steph let's out a breath she didn't even know she was holding. She gets what she needs from her locker and they begin to head to their first class.

Steph notices the stares- or rather- glares sent her way. She has been getting a lot them lately.

"Can you remind me again why you're talking to me?" Steph asks quizzically.

Chris grins. "Because we're friends."

"No, we are not," Steph deadpans.

"Fine. We're about to become friends," Chris tells her.

She doesn't say anything to that.

"Why'd you ask?"

"Because people are wondering the same thing and won't stop staring," Steph mutters.

"Wow!" Chris feigns shock. "That means we're famous. You should be happy."

"Unlike you, I don't like that type of attention," she specifies.

"You would just have to get used to it, Hazel. Very soon, we'll have our very own reality TV show. I can see it already." Chris waves a hand in front of his face dramatically.

"Okay weirdo," Steph says dryly just as they walk into their maths class.

Stephanie takes a seat and Chris takes the one beside her. They settle down before Chris speaks again.

"Hey Hazel."

"Hmm," she answers as she brings out her notebook for class.

"Why do plants hate math?" Chris asks her.

She pauses and turns to look at him, giving him a puzzled look.

"Huh?"

"Why do plants hate math?" He reiterates.

She stares at him but the look on his face doesn't falter.

"I don't know," she shrugs. "Why don't we go and ask one outside?"

Chris chuckles. "It's because it gives them square roots."

"Seriously?" She deadpans. "Math joke?"

He grins with a nod.
"Wanna hear another one?"

"No," she answers flatly.

"What do you call an angle that is adorable?"

Steph sighs and pretends not to be interested but she's mentally thinking about the answer.
When she doesn't answer for some seconds, Chris does.

"Acute angle."

"What do you call dudes who love math?"

"You mean dudes like you?" Steph turns to give him a smirk.

"It's Algebros. Get it? Alge...bros..."

"I get it," Steph snaps. "You're an algebro," she adds with a simper.