25 | Dump Her Ass

Start from the beginning

"Today. When he walked into class and smiled at me this morning- I felt the butterflies, B. On Saturday, at the amusement park, when you and Cole went wherever, we talked and I found myself noticing some things about him. I got fascinated by the way he talks, his smile, his beautiful laugh and......" Steph trails off, realising she sounds like a love sick idiot.

"Oh how I love this version of you," Brooke babbles, wiggling her eyebrows.

"I do not," Steph snorts. She sounds like Brody.

"Luke is nice, cool and you know- good looking. And the best part is that he's Cole's best friend. I would ship you guys and say it's a match made in heaven but there's a big problem..."

"He is Ivy's boyfriend," Brooke completes her statement softly.

"I know that and I'm not looking for a boyfriend. The fact that I like him doesn't mean I want to date him," Steph scoffs and then shoves a spoon of ice cream into her mouth.

"So you're gonna keep talking to him and acting normal? Can you pull that off? I doubt that."

"I'll try," Steph replies.

"And you said Ivy threatened you?" Brooke asks about the second important thing. The crush part was just more eminent than this so it needed to be discussed first.

"Yeah, she did. It was crazy. Someone must have seen us at the park on Saturday and told her. Or she saw us herself," Steph muses.

"That bitch!" Brooke seethes. "I don't know what Luke sees in her. Ugh!"

Steph shrugs.

"So what are you gonna do?"

"Try my best to stay away from Luke," Steph replies.

"No, you won't. She's insecure. Ivy's insecure. She knows Luke would dump her ass for you that's why she wants you to stay away from him. And you won't. You'd do exactly the opposite so that it will happen," Brooke says with determination.

"That's quite a theory you have there," Steph clicks her tongue. "But Brooke, I'm not you and you are not me. You love drama- I know you do but I don't. I do not want anymore drama in my life. I already have enough on my plate."

"So what would you tell Luke when he asks you?" Brooke raises a brow.

"He wouldn't notice," Steph retorts.

Brooke raises her free hand. "Whatever you say."

Steph's phone vibrates as she gets a text. She checks it and find that it's from Luke.

"Speak of the devil," she mutters to herself and Brooke hears.

"Luke?"

"Yeah."

"What does it say?"

"He's asking about the homework we were given in class," Steph answers.

Brooke picks the remote and switches on the TV.

"I've been waiting for you to like Chris but you just had to mess things up by liking Luke," Brooke mutters to herself.

***

Chris parks in the driveway and kills the engine. He and Jason get out of the car together and head into the house.

"Is your mum home?" Jason asks.

"She should be. She picked up Emily today," Chris answers.

"Emily," Jason smiles. He really likes her but doesn't that come naturally? Emily makes him yearn for a little sister of his own.