Chapter 9

"James, James," a familiar voice echoed. I opened my eyes and it was Dr. Weber right next to me. I lifted myself up of a cot and I looked around. There was mom and the other captives. "What happened?" "You got knocked out, and the superhero brought you and me here, answered Dr. Weber. "And He went back down to take care of the rest of the SOW," my mom added. One captive shouted, "Alright, now you're here now are we going to get of this damn piece of junk? There is only one escape pod. How? "I couldn't remember what I had in mind to escape. Until the superhero entered the evacuation room and answered, "Al'right people, I cleared this place of baddies. They're are out cold and I halted the self -destruct timer." I turned my head and I couldn't believe it. It was the actual superhero in his blue suit and green gloves and boots. "But there is a nuke located in the bottom of this station. I can't disable it." Everyone started to panic and scream until I hopped out of the cot and shouted, "HEY!" Everyone ceased the commotion. "I have an idea." I looked at the superhero and asked, "How much strength are you at?" "Not one hundred percent but just enough. Why?" I answered, "I'll go take the escape pod back to Washington D.C. while you fly everyone to Mexico." At first, they all thought I was insane. I calmed everyone down and explained the USA was a warzone and that if they're lucky they might be safe in Mexico. Then I begged the superhero to let me go. "Please. My friend Danielle is in trouble. I need to rescue her." Although hesistant, he agreed, we and the doctor shook hands, my mom hugged and kissed me, and I climbed into the escape pod. "Hey everyone, don't forgot to EX-HALE when you enter the vacuum of space," I shouted as the pod hatch shut. After entering coordinates, I buckled up and the escape pod zoomed out with a WHOOSH.

Gripping as tight as I could, I felt the burning heat on my face as I re-entered Earth's atmoshere. Sweating up a storm, I gasped and panted until when the flames disappeared and I was falling smooth. I quickly pressed a button and the parachute opened. I floated down to the ground. It was almost like a theme park ride, only much more rough. After a few more minutes of silence, I heard booms and bangs. I unbuckled my seat belt and spotted from the window, the bright blue sky, the Washington Monument, and some Ex-caps falling from the sky and exploding on impact possibly terminating other civilians. Then I saw the US Marines and the S.O.W shooting and fist-fighting on the north side of the National Mall. With tanks, marines, and dwarfs in giant steel suits bagging at each other, it was a blood bath and a junk yard.

I felt a hard thud I splashed down in the Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool. I tried to open the hatch but it was stuck so I slammed the emergency OPEN button which blew the hatch of the escape pod and I leaped out of it and into the water just as a cap dropped on the pod and exploded. I trotted out of the pool as fast as I could, then with me and my clothes soaking wet, I ran into the Lincoln Memorial and hid behind the marble throne of the Abraham Lincoln Statue. I had to think of a strategy how to get to J Edgar Hoover Building,  when I heard someone scream, "HEY, SHOW YOURSELF, OR I WILL SHOOT YOU!" "I cautious crawled out from the statue hoping it would be not be the SOW troop. I turned around with my hands behind my head, a US marine was pointing is shotgun at me. "Now come forward," he ordered. And I did, until he lowered his gun and his mouth dropped open. "James? James, it that you?" "I was shocked too. It was the Ray, the company commander that briefed me and others for Recruit training. We saluted each other. We both questioned where we had been lately and when we were finished, we heard gunfire in the distance. "Do you have some binoculars?" I asked Ray. He did and moving my head, I saw that in was coming from the J Edgar Hoover Building, and some SOW soldiers overwhelming FBI agents. Danielle was among the few who were still standing. I gripped tight as she along with the other agents continued to fire until they were out of ammo." I stood in shock, as I watched the agents, especially my old friend, Danielle get punched in the face solid with one swing of the steel suit arm. "NO!"  I lowered the binoculars and fell to my knees, "Are you okay, son?" Danielle, my fiend from my childhood. she's dead, along with other FBI agents." I said. "No, I'm sorry - but James, you need to focus." "I should've stayed there, I could've helped her," I answered "This is a war and anything can happen, son. Sometimes it's too late to save someone and we to live it. But it isn't over, the president is in danger and Im glad your here." I was still silent. "James, James? Please, don't let your friend's sacrifice be in vain."  

Finally I asked, "Sir, status on the forces?" "We lost about four-hundred eighty-nine men." After pondering for a bit, "We need to regroup, WE NEED TO REGROUP AND REPLAN. SOW is overwhelming us. If we keep fighting we are all dead," I replied. Ray thought about it. It was all a risk but there was no choice. He agreed. He grabbed the radio on his vest and ordered a full retreat to the Thomas Jefferson Memorial. We both sprinted for the military jeep. Then we hopped in as Commander Ray inserted the keys, turned them, and slammed on the gas. He also contacted command base, codenamed Jupiter  about the whole situation. Before he could them that we were heading to the Jefferson Memorial, something went BOOM out of nowhere.

Something near hit us and Ray almost lost control of the car. I looked and saw two SOW soldiers in the air powered by their suit feet. They fired UV rockets at us. Ray kept spinning the wheel, dodging the rockets. "here take this," he said. Ray handed me an assault rifle with a red scope and stood up, and shot at them as I took aim. I spotted that the SOW suits had a flaw; if a rocket in their rocket lanchers attached to the shoulders is shot and exploded, it could blow the enemy to smittereens if i timed it perfectly. So with careful precision, I aimed at an SOW soldier's rocket lancher, waited for the a rocket, and I shot it. The SOW soldier exploded in a ball of fire and gore. I did the same method with the other on and he was dead. We were in the clear at Ray again contacted Jupiter. "This is Hotel 23, we're on our way to the Jefferson Mermorial. I also picked up a guest along the way; bringing him in for debriefing."