Chapter 3

My patience wore thin of the fun I was missed out over the majority of summer from June to July. But one night after dinner, my mom came into the kitchen where I was begrudgingly washing the dishes and silverware and she said, "James, I'd like to talk to you for a minute." I put down the soapy sponge and grimy plate in the sink and sat down at the dining room table. "Yes, mom?" "Today, I have been thinking about this punishment that you have endured. I already assume that you learned your leason. I'm impressed you have done chores without complaining. I nodded and chucked nervously. 

"Well, I decided I don't feel right about making you miss the whole summer. "How would you like to take a break and we can to Inks Lake State Park tomorrow?" "Really mom, you serious?", I asked. Yep she was serious. It looks like my punishment has been absolved and I could go and have fun. "Thanks mom!" I jumped on her lap and and gave her a big squeeze. "Can Danielle come too?" I asked. "If it's ok with her parents? But promise me you're not going to wander off without my permission," she warned me. "I promise, mom." I got off her lap and ran to the phone to call Danielle and deliver her the good news. "Hello?" Hey Danielle, it's me James," I said in a cheerful voice. "Oh hi, James, are you ok, you seem so happy today?"

That I was. I told her that since it was August, it was decided my punishment would be over, that I should spend the rest of it before it was over. Then I asked how she was doing. "Oh everything is great, my punishment has also been absolved." "That's great, Danielle. We got to figure out what to do tomorrow or what." "I know what we can do, she replied. We can go to Inks Lake State Park for swimming with my parents." "That's what my mom suggested to." Oh My God! This must have been my lucky day. 

The very next day, we packed some towels and sunscreen, then got in the car and drove a good twenty-five miles to Inks Lake. After parking the car, grabbing our stuff and walking to the lodge. A voice called from behind us, we turned and it was Danielle and her parents.  She and I ran and hugged each other while jumping up and down for joy. After a small conversation, we went into the lodge and checked in. Finally we went outside where there not that many people outside near the lake and there was no lifeguard on duty, so we had to swim at our own risk.

After telling my mom, that me and Danielle were going in the water, we played catch with the ball, and even wrestled for a bit. All seemed to go very well until things took a turn for the worse. After I flipped Danielle into the water, I noticed that she hadn't came up, I put on my googles, took a deep breath, lowered myself down and discovered to my shock something strange was pulling her down by her back. I couldn't see what it was but I knew she would drown if I didn't save her. I quickly grabbed her arms and yanked as hard as I could but to no avail. As I keep pulling, something pushed her back, and she swan back to the surface. I looked and I saw a two arms and a bald head sticking out, smiling at me and putting his index finder to his lips as if it was a secret. I got scared and swam back up. As I held my hand to my heart, I lowered myself back in the water but he was gone, like as if he was never there. 

I walked out of the water and back to the sand where Danielle was being consoled by her mother and her father was arguing with my mother. When I came up to them, Danielle's father, with his face very red, marched up to as if he was going to kill me. "What did you do, you little shit." Before I could say something, my mom dashed and got in front of me. "You touch him, I'll claw your eyes out!" Then Danielle's mom cried out, "Honey, please, our baby is traumatized!" He looked Danielle who was sobbing. He let out a deep breath and said to me, "I don't want you to see my daughter ever again. "Surely, you didn't mean that," replied my mom. But he did, he did not want me to be friends with Danielle anymore. That answer stung me, as he walked away with his daughter and wife. "Mom it's not what you think I-" "Come on James, let's go home," my mom said. With tears running down my eyes, I watched as Danielle's car left the park and I buried my hands, into my lap, sobbing as we drove home.