Chapter 39~I Bargain For My Life

I took the hot chocolate Ruby had given me, taking light sips of course, careful not to inhale too much at once.

Unlike my visit to Starbucks with Nic and Rach, this one was bustling with people. People lined at the doors, talking and laughing while the winter winds cooled the outside air and the faint noise of Christmas songs played above. Everything was one hundred percent normal, but the circumstances were quite deadly in my predicament.

Ruby's eyes never left mine, but I tune over to the window, watching the light snow fall on the city as the sun rose.

Rachel and Kelsey would be finding Bridget right about no, trying to bring her home. My heart ached to be with them, fighting alongside, doing something-anything.

But no.

I had to be the weak link that couldn't go fight.

People think Aphrodite kids have it all, but it's not a blessing.

It's a curse.

"Why'd you send the note?"

I broke open a piece of sugar, pouring it in my hot chocolate because I can.

Ruby leaned back and took a sip, her hair shifting over with the slight breeze.

"You know, just because you're open in Olympus, it doesn't mean we can't see you."

Okay that made me uncomfortable.

"That's not stalker like at all."

I sipped the chocolate.

Ruby laughed.

"It's war, Lace. Anything you thought was safe, isn't. People are probably going to die soon, and not come back."

I set the cup down.

"Don't call me Lace. And you haven't answered my question."

Ruby slid her fingers around her cup like a villain from a movie.

"Lace, you and I are very alike."

I laughed.

"Yeah right."

Ruby continued.

"Listen, we both want fame. Imagine the amount of fame we could get for doing this? We help the big guys out for a sec, let them get the ruling. But what are they gonna do? They just want power. Once we give it to them, we can be anything we want Lace. The whole world could be ours."

The whole world.

The world would know my name.

"But what about our friends?"

Ruby stepped back.

"They wouldn't be harmed. No one would, just the gods and they're horrible anyway. When have they ever done something for us?"

"My mom gave me the power to turn into a dove."

"But did she help when you're sister was dying?"

That hit close to home.

She could've done something.

"Ruby, I'm sorry. But whatever she did, she did because she had to do it. And I'm not helping the guy who nearly threw me and Rach into an empty void of oblivion."

I finished my cup and walked to the door.

"If you wake through that door, they all die."

I stopped.

"What?"

Ruby smiled.

"Bridget fell into Tartarus. And, forgive me for pointing out the obvious, but who do you think runs Tartarus?"

I froze.

"Please don't hurt them."

"Oh we won't."

A hand gripped my arm.

TARTARUS ITS NOT OKAY TO DO THAT.

"If you come with us, we won't hurt them. You have my honor as the new ruler of Olympus."

I yanked my arm out.

"Okay. I'll come with you."

Worst Decision I've ever made.

And trust me,

I'm going to make a lot of bad decisions next.