Chapter 73: The "Lovely" Town of Awa

Soo-won's POV

I had been to Port Awa two times in my life: once when I was here months ago to inquire about the human trafficking and once with my father.

This was not the same town.

Not in spirit. Not in business. Not at all.

Most port towns are colorful, and there are usually a bunch of people passing through the market - traders and customers alike. Different types of clothing and other sellable items. There's usually some sort of music, lots of conversations. Bars and restaurants open and filled to the brim with customers. Boats coming in and out of the port. Not even rain would deter the lifestyle of the port.

This was not the case for the most important port in the Earth Tribe's territory.

People didn't linger in the streets - like they used to. The only people who were out seemed to be buying whatever they needed whilst trying not to call attention to themselves. Not everyone wore the same color, but no color they wore was bright. Any resident we seen had a black vest - one that covered from the neck to the waist, but left the back exposed. Most of the people we seen carried scars there. 

Nobody talked to us. Whether they thought they'd be reprimanded or not, we didn't know, but we weren't approached, and when we approached, the person would excuse themselves as quickly as possible.  

When the sun was at its highest, there was a horn that resounded throughout the port. That was the first time we saw most of the residents of the town. They were all going towards the center of the town, almost like it was a ritual at that point. Unsure of what we should have been doing, Mundok, Joo-doh, Geun-tae, and I decided that following them would be our best bet. 

Of course, nothing could quite prepare us for what would be taking place.

~~~~~~

Gi-gan's POV

The city announcement was about to get underway when those 'allies' of Midori decided to show up. Fortunately, there was no 'city officials' yet, so they still had time to hide. If those officials saw them, there would most likely be a change for whatever was about to happen.

With that in mind, I try to make my way over to them as discretely as possible.

As I arrive, the group seemed almost startled at my appearance, as they all jumped as I spoke, "You can't be out in the open dressed like that."

They flinch slightly, but the blond speaks up, "Is there a reason, ma'am?"

"You want to see what goes on at our 'city announcements'?" I ask, mild annoyance slipping into my speech. "Any of the officials will keep from showing what really happens if they see you - after all, who would want their boss to see their wrongdoings?" 

The group frowned, but the blond spoke up, quietly, "Then how would you suggest we observe?"

I sighed, "There's not enough time for you to change, but . . . if you decided to, I don't know, climb onto the roof of say -" I turn to my right, looking at a familiar, loyal, bar, "Toku's bar here, you'd get pretty good seats to the show."

The blond, again, spoke, "And how . . . hypothetically, would we reach the roof?" 

"Toku's still inside. Go in, and tell him that Gi-gan sent you and that you want to help out Midori." I crossed my arms, meeting his inquisitive gaze with a sharp one, " . . . That is what you're here to do right?"

The four of them nodded as the second horn, and last call, for the city announcement, "I'd hurry then, it's about to start."

~~~~~~

Midori's POV

"And here I thought you might not have been an idiot," I said taunting my captor, ". . . But, it would seem that you have a knack for proving me wrong, huh, Kumuji?"

A dark smirk covered my nightmare's face as he turned to face me, his minions having ahold of my restriants, "As annoying as I find you, whore," he grasped my jaw, jerking my face so that I would be unable to look anywhere but his face, "I may as well indulge you. After all, I plan to have you good and dead before the end of our city announcement today. So," he released me, shoving me back, and spoke without a care in the world, "what makes you think that I'm an idiot?"

I scoffed, a wry smirk gracing my, now bruised, face, "Well, that's a long list, I'm not sure I will be done with it by the time we reach the square."

~~~~~~

Soo-won's POV

After help from who I could only guess was 'Gi-gan', we managed to convince the bar owner, Toku, to let us get to the roof of his bar. The roof had dark blue shingles, and it was high enough, and at enough of an angle, that we wouldn't be seen.

As I look around to my companions, all I can see is their nervous faces. General Geun-tae is grasping at his arms, his sleeves bunched up, and his glare is almost piercing the post in the middle of the square - which was mostly red, from a substance we didn't need to name. General Joo-doh's leg shakes with either nervousness or anticipation, whilst this is not his tribe, his concerned gaze drifts to and fro, across the sea of Awa residents. 

Even I was concerned, though I tried to distract myself as well as calm myself down by more subtle means: I was running my hands along the shingles where we sat whilst observing our surroundings.

But, as it would seem, the person who seemed the most concerned was Elder Mundok.

While none of us expected to see Midori immediately, there were certainly enough times while we were in the backstreets for us to have ran into each other, and she never showed.

And this revelation is what was likely to be sending red flags in the elder's mind. Out of all of us, he was the most a mess, glancing around the crowd and gripping onto the roof as if it was his only lifeline at the moment. 

But there was no time left to be concerned about each other, as an army of Lord Dante's guards led one person with a bag over their head wearing some tattered clothes towards the front of the post. The guards holding this person kicked the back of the person's knees, forcing them into a kneeling position.

Dante smirked, relishing in the silence, before walking to the person, and yanking off the bag.

Resounding gasps of surprise and fear then filled the silence.

________________________________________________________________________________

Ooof, I'm terrible when it comes to updating on a regular schedule, but . . . I guess y'all already know that, huh?

Whelp, I did want to update this earlier, but . . . I realized that I kind of dug myself into a hole with the last chapter, and so I had to, uh, take time to figure out how the heck this chapter would work. My answer: Dante Kumuji is arrogant, and I guess that will be his hubris for this story.

I will try to update somewhat soon. This is a cliffhanger, though I would guess you know who this might be, and it's not a very nice one . . . sorry? :)

Anyway, how's everyone doing? Y'all enjoying the dumpster fire that is 2020? I hope that y'all and your families are all healthy and doing fine. This is a stressful time for people.

I am happy to say that me and my family are fine, and I can only hope for the best for everyone else.

I hope that this story can help bring some joy (okay, so like, maybe not this chapter, but, y'know) to everyone.

Well wishes, and Thanks!

~Ashley