Chapter 67: In Which Tae-jun Surprises Us All

Midori's POV

"Tae-jun's in this village?" asked the new Fire Tribe General, Kan Kyo-ga, incredulously.

I was scratching my head as Soo-won answered, "Yes, according to my information."

"In this deserted village? Surely not?"

"I mean," I spoke up almost as confused as anyone else, "from what I remember about Kan Tae-jun, he certainly wouldn't have associated anywhere near here . . . But . . ." I sweat-dropped, not quite believing the relationship between the brothers, and muttered under my breath, " . . . I figured you'd have more faith in your younger brother."

Having not heard me, the newest general continued, "Right now, Tae-jun is probably in the government office, wasting away his days with laziness."

I stood to the left of the king, looking around sadly at the state of this village. It was so much like that village before they managed to move to the caves.

I was so caught up in my own thoughts, that I somehow missed Kyo-ga getting basically run over. In fact, the only reason that I actually managed to snap out of my daze was because whilst trying to keep Kyo-ga from the ground, I was knocked into by His Majesty.

Turns out, the person that ran into the new general happened to be the guy that we were looking for. Though, it would seem that he was almost unrecognizable - mannerism-wise - as he was doing a very good job at leading his soldiers and taking charge with caring for those of this village.

" . . . See? Tae-jun isn't around here."

The King was very shocked, as he spoke up, "No, No! He's right there!" He points over to a person that looks like the second son of Soo-jin, "Huh? Huh?" He turns towards Joo-doh and I, "That is Lord Tae-jun, right?"

Joo-doh was the first to speak up, and though he didn't deny it, he seemed slightly confused, "I'm not so sure anymore . . . maybe we got the wrong village?"

Sighing, I met Soo-won's gaze, "That's Tae-jun." Our companions looked to me in surprise and doubt, but I continued, "Albeit more mature than I remember, but . . . it's still Tae-jun."

One of the soldiers helping around the village began to point us out, trying to get Tae-jun's attention. It took a few tries, but once the young lord looked over to us, it was only a matter of seconds before he began to try to escape, "Retreat! Retreat!"

"Ah! There! That's it!" Kyo-ga had finally recognized his younger brother.

~~~~~~~~~

After explaining the betrayal of his father to him, we had followed Tae-jun into the makeshift clinic that he had been helping run for a while. It was actually quite impressive for someone who I thought would never do anything for anyone other than himself.

"Your majesty, you mustn't go any further," the Sky Tribe general was quick to stop the reckless king in advancing. As I tried to move forward, however, Joo-doh tried to stop me as well, "Milady, we wouldn't want you getting sick."

Sighing, I spoke quietly, "Lord Tae-jun isn't a doctor, is he?"

"No, milady," Kyo-ga spoke confidently.

Soo-won sighed before speaking, "There aren't enough doctors, someone had to do something."

"Then," I looked over to those that were very sick, "I believe that I am the closest thing to a doctor here. These people need help."

"But-!"

I cut off the concerned generals, and smiled, "I appreciate your concern, but I should inform you that I have been exposed to all of these diseases before." You could almost see the question lingering in the air, " . . . I . . . I was born in a Fire Tribe village like this one. It's not uncommon for the villages around your tribe, Kyo-ga-sama, to be ridden with sickness and poverty."