Chapter 70: And You Guessed It! More Letters!

Midori's POV

"How you've managed to walk around the port, get injured every other day, and not die is beyond me," muttered Gi-gan as she was, once again, dressing my wounds.

I chuckled softly, wincing when my shoulders moved, "Well, Cap', you know that I'm just impossible to kill."

"You're going to jinx yourself one day, Midori," muttered a disgruntled Gi-gan. The room was empty except us, so we soon shifted into a slightly tense atmosphere.

I had already known that Gi-gan really didn't want me to have to put myself on the line, but with the situation in Awa getting worse, she was soon left with no choice. Being one of the only people who were quick enough to outrun the guards on a daily basis, I was in charge of pick pocketing the guards for poisons and antidotes.

Many of our own were getting poison afflicted on them, so there was a constant need.

As Gi-gan tied off the end of the bandage, she sighed before making her way around to sit at the table across from me, "What even was it for today?" I glanced down, but she continued, "I was fairly certain that you weren't supposed to run today."

In a small voice, I muttered, "I wasn't."

Gi-gan shot up from her chair, slamming her fists against the table, not bothering to keep her chair from smacking onto the wooden floors - it effectively destroyed the silence in the safe-house, "Then why were you running?!"

I swallowed, trying to maintain a calm façade, "Do you remember what you said during Rowen's report?"

~~~~~~~~~

"It appears that whether they like it or not, any establishment that sells drinks - of any sort - has to carry Nadai." Rowen - one of the many men who had helped fight against Yan Kumuji - was once again joined up with the pirates and was also giving his weekly report, "According to Toku - his father is in charge of the bar at the corner of the main road and 3rd - they're 'supposed' to mix the Nadai into every drink."

Gi-gan and I both were sporting frowns, there really was a problem here, but we were almost powerless against it. I, of course, ended up saying so, "What are the owners of these places doing about it?"

"Well," Rowen wiped his brow, trailing over his x-shaped scar, "Toku's isn't actually doing it. They just pour out the Nadai when it comes time for the new batch to come in. The only time they actually put it in is when they are being watched by Dante. Though they usually will try to warn the consumer."

Nodding, I sighed, "Well . . . I hadn't expected Toku or his family to comply with the new regime."

"What about the other's?" Gi-gan was frowning deeper, if that was even possible. "Those who aren't established as our allies nor our enemies?"

"Those who are closer to being our allies are taking action similar to Toku," Rowen said solemnly. "Unfortunately, those who are closer to being enemies . . . they're trying to follow orders as close as possible."

Gi-gan sighed, putting her face into her hands, "This is a mess. How long will it be before we are over taken? Our allies are dwindling because of the fear factor established by Dante and his hooligans." She pushed her bangs back; her voice took a sad tone, "We need some serious help."

~~~~~~~~~

"Midori . . . you didn't . . ."

I leaned back slowly, trying not to irritate my newest set of injuries, "I just sent out a letter." Gi-gan was frowning again, " . . . A couple of letters."