Chapter 9: Hurtful Words, Understanding, & Rooting for HakXYona

Midori's POV

Yoon's words were harsh. That was for sure, but I think they might've been a wake-up call for Yona, a good one anyway.

Not too long after the princess was found out to be very naïve, Hak cried out in his comatose state, "Ungh."

"Hak!" Yona had called out worriedly. I tried my hardest to keep away from Yoon while he was helping Hak; I also didn't want to see how bad of shape he was in. I know I was pretty bad because I hit every tree, but Hak was worse off because I'm sure he protected Yona all the was down to the valley.

"Stay back," Yoon said, "he has a fever and it probably won't go down soon because of the surgery I had to do."

Yona sat next to Yoon, "Save Hak!" I flinched my eye tearing up due to the state my family was in.

"That's what I'm doing," Yoon said, annoyed. "It would be troublesome if he died. But," he paused looking at her, "I'm not a doctor."

I sat on the other side of Yoon, the side Yona wasn't sitting on, and whispered, "Thank you for doing so."

He glanced at me nodding before going back to scold Yona, "Also, don't think that helping you is what I'm supposed to do. You, unlike your friend who's thanked Ik-us and I ever since she has awoken, haven't said one word of gratitude!"

My tears were back as I took a bowl of lukewarm water and soaked a cloth, provided by Ik-su, before placing it on my brother who's fever was still high.

Yoon was now standing, literally looking down on Yona, "What about him? Have you ever said a word of thanks to this guy? Since he goes so far to protect you."

Ik-su placed his hands on mine and Yona's back's and softly said to us, "It's alright. He hasn't met the God of Death yet. He will come back to you both." I nodded mutely, unable to formulate words.

Ik-su left us to quietly scold Yoon, "Yoon, use nicer words."

"But," Yoon looked over in our direction, "I hate the king and his family."

Ik-su sighed before stating, "She's struggling. . . in her own way."

I got up, "I'm actually going to the river this time," I said softly. "I need to breathe." I took a shaky breath, "Hak'll be fine, Yona. You couldn't get rid of him if you wanted to."

~~~~~

I made my way back to the hut because the light was leaving, and stopped just outside the door. Yona was talking, "Isn't it difficult to live in a place like this where there's nothing?"

Yoon answered, "Not at all. It's a pain to live in a village." At this point, I came in and sat down, "Ik-us settled here, so it's feasible."

Yona came over to me as Yoon continued, "Villages are full of poor people, only a portion of the people in the capital are rich. Because Ik-su's so kind, he tries to help everyone. . . but he can't. And it pains him because of it."

I softly spoke up, "It does seem like something Ik-su would do."

"Ah," Yoon said, looking down. "I can't just leave that guy alone."

"Thank you," I glanced over at my friend, who's growing up, "Please tell me. . . some more." She soon fell asleep.

I noticed the bed that she and I were laying on earlier was still out, so I set her there, "Thanks, Yoon."

"Is that the only word you know?" Yoon playfully asked.

I gave a sheepish laugh, "No, but truly. She seems better now."