Chapter 42: Every Journey has 'Pit-Stops' I Guess

Midori's POV

My head was hung low as I walked through the outskirts of Port Awa. I was all packed and on my way to meet up with my new 'travel buddies'.

Though, to say I was excited for this trip would be a lie.

The sun was currently setting as I made my way past some of the last houses of the town. I sighed as I came upon the tiny little campsite where my new companions waited. I was apparently pretty silent as I approached because as I took a seat next to the General, he jumped extremely high.

He then quickly turned towards me, "Why do you always do that?!"

Blinking, I look him in the eyes before settling my gaze on the fire, "I don't know." Joo-doh  flinched at the emptiness of my voice, "Did I sneak up on you on purpose before? I can assure you I didn't mean it this time."

"Right," Joo-doh spoke stiffly, "sorry."

I shook my head but said nothing more. I guess it was a good thing people forgot that I was without some of my memories - it must mean that my mannerisms haven't changed, just my recollection of things.

We sat in an awkward silence, I really wasn't in the mood to talk much, but the King decided that he should try to 'pull me into the conversation' or something, "Did you get everything you needed, Midori?"

I glance over to him and speak softly, ". . . Yes. . ."

Joo-doh, apparently telepathically understanding what needed to happen, spoke up, "Alright, then we should start packing up." He looked over to me deciding that my lost look demanded an explanation, "We aren't really on an announced trip, so traveling under the cover of night until we're out of Earth Tribe Lands is - "

" - A much better idea." I nodded as I stood up. I looked around at what needed to be done, but it seemed that the guards who worked under both the King and General wouldn't let me help in the slightest, "You know, I just lost my memory, but I'm not completely helpless."

The King answered while guiding me to a horse, "No, you're not helpless, and it seems that though you have lost some memories, you still have the same personality."

I turned towards him, my hand on the saddle, but refusing to mount, "And what type of personality is that?"

"You're very headstrong," he spoke, a soft smile gracing his features, "but very kind and selfless."

Shouldn't I hate this guy? If I was as close to Yona as she spoke of, I should . . . right? Why can't I hate this guy?!

"I . . . I see," I said turning away from him and preparing to mount the horse. Before I did, though, I spoke - once again addressing the King, "I assume that since there are not enough horses, I will be riding with someone?"

Though not a direct question, he still responded, speaking to me in a quiet voice, "Yes. Since we don't want to put you with people who do not know you, Joo-doh and I decided that you will ride with one of us. . ."

"But Joo-doh has to guard and scout?" I spoke glancing over my shoulder. "So, that means I'm riding with you."

I slow nod came from the King, "Yes . . ."

Rather than make this any more awkward than I already had, I nodded before pushing myself up and onto the horse. Even the horse had more recollection than I because it turned towards me and made a happy noise.

"She was your favorite horse at the palace," a slightly distressed Soo-won finally spoke, and the awkwardness that was just recently was here was melted away in an instant. I scooted forward in the saddle to pet the horse, but I also did so to allow room for the King to get on.