Chapter 68: Naming Chapters is Hard

Midori's POV

"So . . . General Soo-jin of the Fire Tribe . . . was killed in action during a skirmish between Kouka and the combined forces of the Fire Tribe and Sen Province?"

I was sitting at a table in a house that opened out towards the back alleys of Port Awa, "Yep." I leaned back, seemingly unaffected by the information, "Not only that, but we've signed a non-aggression pact with the Sen Province."

"Do you think that will keep us from going to war?"

I shrugged, meeting the sharp gaze of my companions cocoa colored eyes, "For now? Probably." Sighing, I continued, "At the very least, I think that it'll give us time to figure out our next course of action. More likely than not . . . If I had to guess . . . His Majesty will likely attend to the Nadai issue in the Water Tribe next."

My companion stabbed her blade into the table, causing the cups and candle holders on top to rattle, "How can that issue be worse than that of the human trafficking that is still going on here?" I lifted up my glass to my lips, closing my eyes - contemplating as the rant began, "I know that Nadai is quite the epidemic - it's even begun to be a problem here! But the lives of the citizens are - they. . . they . . ." She cut herself off by slamming her fists against the table - rattling everything again.

"Gi-gan . . ." I set down my cup, letting my fingers play with the rim. I sigh, meeting the captain's gaze again, "I . . . I'm not even sure that . . . that anyone is aware that there is still an issue. Heh, I. . . I didn't even know there was a problem until I got your letter."

She placed her head into her hands - she looked like she was at the end of the line, " . . . What do we do? What can we do?"

I leaned my face into my left hand, glancing in that direction, " . . . A resistance?"

"Too dangerous," my eyes snapped back to the only other person in the room. She sighed, exasperated, "We need it, yes . . . but . . . we can't outright revolt. It'll only work in Dante's favor. Not to mention, with all of the new 'policies' that are being implemented, if anyone does something out of line . . . they'll get discouraged rather quickly. Besides . . . we would need someone who could stand as the face of it all." I opened my mouth, but before I could get any words formed, I was cut off, "And I won't ask you to do it."

"Who else then?" There was pain glowing in her eyes, she knew that I was the best option for the face of the revolution against Awa's new lord. I looked down, "Just about everyone in this town knows me - they know the shit I've had to go through against this new lord."

Gi-gan sighed again, hesitance in her voice, "You have a life outside of Awa." She reached across the table, clasping her hands in mine, "Don't risk it for something this dangerous."

"How hypocritical," I mutter, my sad, struggling gaze met hers, "you were just mad at the imperial palace for not investing in this problem, and then you tell me you don't want me involved. Why even tell me then?"

"Because," her voice became hoarse as she spoke, "if you somehow heard . . . If there was even the slightest chance that you would have heard of news from Awa . . . could you seriously look me in the eye - right now - and tell me you wouldn't drop everything to help?!" I was left speechless as she continued, slightly more calm, "I know you very well, Midori. You wouldn't hesitate - you're too kind for that. You don't hold yourself to a high enough importance to ignore someone in need."

~~~~~~~

Soo-won's POV

"Jeez, Majesty," General Joo-doh spoke up, startling me from my daze, "if I had known that you'd be so dreary after Lady Midori leaving, I would have asked her to reconsider."