Chapter 37

Draco grasped his wand tighter in his hand, feeling a cold sweat forming on his forehead. He was just about to say something when multiple things happened at once. He heard a deafening blast and a bright flash of white-blue light exploded above the clearing, illuminating their faces; multiple voices shouted curses, making chunks of trees and splinters fly everywhere. Draco ducked and quickly placed a protective spell in front of him. That is when he saw Harry, followed by Ron and Theo, running into the clearing. They managed to take out McKinley's followers, but got a few curses thrown at them in the process. By the time the enemies were down, Harry sported a grazed cheek, while Ron had an injured forearm, which was bleeding profusely. Theo was the only one who got away without a scratch. They were all panting hard due to the effort.

"Took you long enough, Potter." Draco drawled, feeling relieved, even though he would never have admitted it.

"Yeah, sorry mate. This McKinley had set some pretty tough wards over this place. Had to bring Theo to help us break them." Harry replied with a smirk. He nudged his head towards Theodore Nott, who was standing right behind him, an excited grin on his face.

"You're losing your touch, Nott." Draco threw at his friend.

"Shut up, Malfoy!" Theo threw back at him. "I see you've been entertained while you waited for us."

"Nothing I couldn't handle, Nott." Draco smirked.

"Harry Potter and company. It's nice to see you all gathered here." a sudden voice said coldly from behind Draco.

He whipped around and froze. McKinley was holding Hermione by the arms and neck. She seemed to be too weak to fight him off. Her body was dangling limply in her captive's tight grasp. Her eyes looked unfocused and her face was slightly paler than before.

Draco cursed himself for not paying better attention to her. During the earlier mayhem he had lost sight of his surroundings for a second and now this happened.

"Let her go, McKinley." He bit out, raising his wand at shoulder level. He was eying the red-haired man dangerously.

"McKinley, you'd better stop this." Harry said, taking a step forward.

He looked angry, his black hair more ruffled than usual, his eyes bright with fury.

"Perhaps I will, but only after Malfoy shares his story with us. I have told them mine, it's his turn to tell us his." McKinley said then turned to Draco "If you don't... she dies." He finished coldly, pointing his wand at Hermione's throat.

Draco's anger flashed in his eyes. For some reason he knew McKinley wasn't bluffing. He gripped his wand tighter, until his knuckles turned white. He stared back at McKinley, then at Hermione. She was slowly starting to wake up from her daze. Her brown eyes were beginning to focus, and they soon found Draco's face. She stared at him, before settling on his eyes. With an intense gaze she looked into their stormy grey for a moment, before gasping out his name. Her eyes went wide, and she looked stunned.

"D-Draco... Malfoy... you... I know y-you." she breathed out, struggling to stand in McKinley's grasp.

Draco's insides twisted painfully, and his breath caught in his throat. His worst nightmare was turning into a reality; Hermione was starting to remember him. Harry looked dumbstruck, shifting his gaze from Hermione to Draco, while Theo looked at them with a pained expression on his face. Ron was clearly confused by what was happening because he remained still and quiet.

"What is going on?" Harry asked Draco, his expression a mixture of worry and apprehension.

"He's given her something." Draco said through gritted teeth. "A potion."